Re: [IBIS] Rfixture value

From: Bob Ross <bob_at_.....>
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 15:19:12 PDT
Hi Sudarshan:

It is OK and reasonable to increase the resistor to a
higher value for two reasons:

1, The buffer is slow, so high speed issues are not really
a factor.  So Transmission line characteristic impedance
modeling should have minimal impact on the simulation.

2, If the Buffer is weak, a large resistor allows you to
extract the table over a larger swing to correspond
to how the part may operate (in a mostly infinite
to small capacitive load.

If you have to use 10,000 ohms, then do so, but it would
be better to use a smaller value.  Perhaps 500 ohms or
1,000 ohms might be better as long as there is a
reasonable voltage swing (such as 30 - 50 percent of the Vdd-Gnd
rail.)  While, for example, on the rising edge, the response
to a load to Vdd will remain fast, a smaller resistor load
should capture some buffer speed reduction better if it
is actually connected with a termination load to Gnd.

Bob

--
Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Labs

Teraspeed is a registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC