RE: [IBIS] Question in R, L, & C Matrix

From: Mirmak, Michael <michael.mirmak_at_.....>
Date: Sun Apr 22 2007 - 15:51:06 PDT
Yasser,

Thanks for your question.

R_pin, C_pin, etc. are intended to represent package parasitics where
coupling effects are not of interest.  The matrix keywords, on the other
hand, were added specifically to represent conductor-to-conductor
package coupling for a component in an IBIS file.

Are you trying to use discrete elements, including the [Pin] package
parameters, to represent a coupled transmission line system?  You may
run into some trouble doing this directly.  For example, C_pin is the
capacitance of the pin by itself with respect to the (assumed) reference
node for the circuit.  However, the [Capacitance Matrix] is in
Maxwellian format, where Cnn is the sum of the capacitance to the
reference plus the mutual capacitance to the surrounding lines (i.e., as
if all the other lines were grounded).  Cnm is the mutual capacitance
between lines n and m (and in Maxwellian format, the off-diagonal
capacitances will be negative).  Therefore, Cnn and C_pin would not be
equivalent.

The easiest way to obtain the matrix information would be to use a field
solver on the package design and extract the matrices directly.

- Michael Mirmak
  Intel Corp.
  Chair, EIA IBIS Open Forum