RE: [IBIS] Off-Diagonal Terms In Resistance Matrix

From: Mirmak, Michael <michael.mirmak_at_.....>
Date: Tue Aug 28 2007 - 17:09:16 PDT
Yasser,

We included text in the ICM specification to address this very question.
Your first statement is almost correct: the off-diagonal entries relate
the voltage generated across one conductor to the current in others
(this induced current is due to EM field coupling, so I would not expect
to see this effect at DC except in some bizarre cases).  The specific
ICM text on mutual resistance is shown below, for reference.

Note that a value of zero ohms in the off-diagonal of a
[Resistance Matrix] does NOT imply a short circuit between
conductors. The off diagonal entries in resistance matrices
relate the voltage generated in one conductor to a current in
another. Using Ohm's law (V=I*R), an off-diagonal resistance
value of zero indicates the absence of resistive coupling
between the conductors.

You can find some good references on equivalent circuits for
off-diagonal mutual resistance terms through the web, or from your
nearest field-solver expert.

- Michael Mirmak
  Intel Corp.
  Chair, EIA IBIS Open Forum