[IBIS] SerDes modeling - SiSoft IBIS-AMI Toolkit version 2.00 is available

From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh_at_.....>
Date: Wed Oct 17 2007 - 19:56:04 PDT
Hi everyone,

As I hope you're aware, the IBIS Advanced Technology Modeling (IBIS-ATM) task group has been working
to define a modeling standard for Serdes RX/TX models that will provide interoperability across EDA
tools and IP vendor models.  This group has been working on a proposal for modeling SerDes
equalization and clock recovery behavior using "executable" models that conform to a standardized
calling interface.  The proposal addresses how models are loaded and executed, how waveform data is
passed to/from the model and how model-specific control settings are managed.  These models are
known as IBIS Algorithmic Modeling Interface (IBIS-AMI) models.

The proposal is now IBIS BIRD 104, which was recently submitted to the IBIS Open Forum for
discussion.  The current proposal is jointly authored by Agilent, Cadence, Intel, Mentor, SiSoft and
Teraspeed.

You can find detailed information on the task group's efforts on-line:

http://www.eda-stds.org/pub/ibis/macromodel_wip/

SiSoft has recently updated its free "IBIS-AMI Evaluation Toolkit" to include a random stimulus
generator and make simulation output data easier to load into commercial waveform display tools.
You can download the latest version of the toolkit here:.

http://www.eda-stds.org/pub/ibis/macromodel_wip/archive/20071016/sisoft/SiSoft_IBIS-AMI_Eval_Toolkit
_v2_00.zip

The toolkit is posted as a .zip file that contains a basic simulation tool, a sample 4-tap Tx model
(both executable and source code), along with sample data and basic documentation.  Executables are
provided for both Windows and Linux platforms.  You can use this toolkit to perform analyses with
the channel data provided, or you can substitute data for your own channel design.  If you want to
perform analyses on your own designs, you'll need to be able to characterize your channel designs
independently and create an impulse response in the format required by the toolkit.

The toolkit is provided free by SiSoft; you are welcome to use it as you wish, subject to the
conditions laid out in the "license.txt" file.

We have established the mailer ibis-ami-toolkit@freelists.org for discussions about SiSoft's toolkit
and toolkits to follow from other EDA vendors.  You can join the ibis-ami-toolkit mailer by sending
an email with "subscribe" in the subject line to ibis-ami-toolkit-subscribe@freelists.org .  You can
also join the discussion group through the following URL:

http://www.freelists.org/list/ibis-ami-toolkit

Future releases of SiSoft's toolkit will be announced on the ibis-ami-toolkit mailer.   Any comments
are welcome and greatly appreciated; we will gauge updates to the kit based on the feedback we
receive.

Thanks for your interest, and happy modeling!

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
SiSoft