RE: [IBIS] I-V and V-t curve mismatch

From: Mirmak, Michael <michael.mirmak_at_.....>
Date: Thu Oct 18 2007 - 08:58:53 PDT
Sudarshan,

Thanks for the message.  The major issue appears to be problems in
generating the Vcc-relative information, but some general supply issues
are cropping up too.  Assuming this is just a regular I/O buffer without
internal terminations...

1) I would expect the Pullup I-V tables to pass through the zero V, zero
I axis intercept.  Yet they do not, with the max and min data shifted by
~0.3 V above and below 0 V, respectively.  This suggests that the math
used to generate the tables may be incorrect.  Remember that, if the
data at Vout is collected ground-relative, you can make the power clamp
and pullup table data in Vcc-relative by the formula (Vtable_corner =
Vcc_corner - Vout_corner), where xxx_corner refers to a value collected
for typ, min or max.  For example, if Vcc_min is 4.5 V, data collected
ground-relative for 0.0 at the output would be entered in the table for
the 4.5 V row.

The supply voltages and the Pullup I-V axis intercepts (when plotted
ground-relative) don't agree, which implies a problem with the supply
listed for the [Voltage Range] keyword not matching either the real
circuit or the values used to generate the Vcc-relative tables.

2) The voltage for the buffer is 5 V +/- 0.5, but the V-t fixture is 3.3
V +/- 0.3 V.  This complicates the math (it gets very hard for me to
calculate the intercepts if they don't match, at least before my first
cup of coffee), but it also suggests that the buffer V-t and I-V data
sets were collected using different settings or otherwise using
different conditions.  I would recommend checking the actual fixtures
used for the V-t extraction; matching the fixture voltages to the
voltage supply would make checking easier.

Calculating the right I-V intercepts vs. V-t levels will be easier once
these issues are addressed.

- Michael Mirmak
  Intel Corp.
  Chair, EIA IBIS Open Forum