RE: [IBIS-Users] RE: [IBIS] RE: IBIS model behavior between Vinh and Vinl input

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi_at_.....>
Date: Fri Jan 04 2008 - 09:41:02 PST
Tom,

I may disagree with you on this one.  The 1 volt and 0 volt
representation
of "true" and "false" is just as "unreal" as an "X".  None of these are
actual
waveforms.  These are indicators which tells you whether the input
signal
was below, above, or between Vinh and Vinl.  I think it is plain wrong
have a "1" or a "0" on the output of the receiver when the signal is
between
Vinh and Vinl and it misleads the user of these tools thinking that they
have good signal integrity while they have problems.

I fully agree that digital parts are not made to operate with waveforms
between Vinh and Vinl.  Ant that is exactly the reason we should have an
output value of "X" to find out when the waveforms are in that region.
And that fact that you described that the "actual output ... will
change"
is exactly the reason for the "X", because we simply don't know what it
will be.  It is not guaranteed that it will be a "1" or a "0".  How do
you describe that if not with an "X"?

Arpad
=======