[IBIS] RE: [ibis-macro] Re: BIRD107: Update to Algorithmic Modeling API (AMI) Support in IBIS

From: Mike LaBonte (milabont) <milabont_at_.....>
Date: Fri Apr 04 2008 - 09:47:07 PDT
I remember the problems caused by C++ destructors that relied on each
other, and were called in different order on different platforms in the
early days of C++. On the theory that there could be multiple TXs in a
simulation as well as multiple RXs, I would suggest specifying only:

1) All Init()s are called before all GetWave()s, which are called before
all Close()s

2) Within each group (Init, GetWave, Close), no function shall be
written in such a way that it depends on the order in which instances of
the same group are called.

3) There *might* be an additional stipulation about interleaving
GetWave() calls so that one instance is not called multiple times
between calls to another instance. For example, TX GetWave() can't be
called 100 times before RX GetWave() is called once. On the other hand
if that is to be allowed it should be explicit.

My opinion is that each model instance preferably should only use memory
associated with the instance, not global "static" memory that could be
shared among multiple instances. But even if they do, no call order
should be assumed. For example, I don't think we should assume that TX
Init() is called before RX Init(). Knowing that the call order among
instances is indeterminate will warn people to create models that are
safe no matter how memory is shared.

Mike