RE: [IBIS] RE: [ibis-macro] Re: BIRD107: Update to Algorithmic Modeling API (AMI) Support in IBIS

From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh_at_.....>
Date: Mon Apr 07 2008 - 05:52:02 PDT
Kumar,

It goes to how the filtering applied by AMI_Init and AMI_Getwave are to be viewed from a system
perspective.

The two different views are:

-          AMI_Init and AMI_Getwave model sequential stages in the device (the original Cadence
view)

-          AMI_Init and AMI_Getwave each represent the whole device's behavior (the original SiSoft
view)

Let's consider the second case (which is what I think you're asking about) - why would anyone want
to do this?  Because architectural exploration and detailed design analysis can make efficient use
of different representations.

Let's assume that I can represent a particular device's filtering using either AMI_Init or
AMI_Getwave models.  The AMI_Getwave model includes nonlinear and time-varying behavior that I'm
going to want to run before design signoff, but the AMI_Getwave model takes 10X longer to run than
the AMI_Init model.  When I'm in the early stages of the design, looking at approximate channel
lengths and interconnect characteristics, the AMI_Init model will let me run more simulations in
less time.  I'm not doing detailed implementation - I'm just trying to get a rough idea of channel
length, bit rate, equalization settings and the quality of the resulting eye.  If I can run 50
simulations quickly to identify the 5 cases I want to study in more detail, then I'm going to want
to do that.

The trick is - the EDA platform needs to know that AMI_Init and AMI_Getwave both represent the
device's full behavior.  If I'm running an architectural simulation (scenario 1), I want the EDA
platform to take the output of the AMI_Init call, convolve it with the stimulus waveform, and treat
that as the simulation output.  If I'm running a detailed simulation (scenario 2), I want to EDA
platform to take advantage of the non-linear and time-varying capabilities of the AMI_Getwave call.

Here's the rub:  AMI_Init has no way of knowing whether it's being called as part of scenario 1 or
scenario 2.  AMI_Init ALWAYS gets called, so I need to be able to ignore the filtered impulse
response returned by AMI_Init in scenario 2.  That's _exactly_ what Use_Init_Ouptut=True is meant to
accomplish.

Does that answer your question?

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff