Re: [IBIS-Users] Re: [IBIS] Different PMOS and NMOS driver impedance

From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh_at_.....>
Date: Tue Aug 19 2008 - 08:15:26 PDT
Sudarshan,

Are you concerned about the mismatch between your driver's NMOS/PMOS impedances and the 50 ohm load used to generate the V-T curves?

I wouldn't be.  The 50 ohm load is meant to be a reasonable match to the PCB impedance, as Tom said - not the driver's output impedance, which can vary substantially.  Simulators don't use the V-T data directly - they use the V-T curves to extract turn-on/turn-off timing data for the pullup and pulldown devices.  The simulator computes how much the pullup/pulldown is "on" or "off" at each point in time, and uses that information in conjunction with the I-V curves (which aren't predicated on a reference resistance) to predict the output's response.

The topics of V-T curves and Kt coefficients have been presented and discussed at length.  I don't have a pointer handy, but I'm guessing Arpad does ...

Todd.
Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
SiSoft
6 Clock Tower Place, Suite 250
Maynard, MA 01754
(978) 461-0449 x24
twesterh@sisoft.com
www.sisoft.com

Sudarshan H N wrote:
HI,

I had a similar discussion about the value of the Rfixture some time back  with the IBIS group, and that time the conclusion was, as you said we should select Rfixture close to the impedance seen by the driver on the board i.e, around 50ohm. But the exact value might be different and hence these  V-t curves in IBIS will just give one set of values for given Rfixture,  and  board level simulation tools will use these V-t curves as a reference to get the actual V-t waveforms for a given load.

Still my doubt is, the pad will see some value of RLC on the board, and IBIS discourages to use reactive loads when generating Vt curves. So how much accuracy these V-t curves will give , assuming its only generated with Rfixture and not with other reactive loads.

Regards
Sudarshan