[IBIS] IBIS spec question on differential buffers

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi_at_.....>
Date: Fri Dec 05 2008 - 06:41:36 PST
I have just been asked a question about how to extract
[Ramp] for a differential buffer for IBIS.  As I was
trying to make sure that I give the correct answer I
realized that the IBIS spec doesn't deal with this
question.  The [Ramp] keyword doesn't say anything
about how to connect Rload when extracting the data,
and Chapter 9 only talks about the good old, rail-to-rail
CMOS buffers, suggesting that Rload should be connected
to Vcc and GND.  This may not work for a low voltage
swing true differential buffer any more.  What is the
official rule for Rload in [Ramp] for such differential
buffers?

I am sending this to the IBIS-ATM list as well because
this may be another point on the list of IBIS overhaul.
These types of buffers have been around for years, and
I am wondering why we are neglecting them in the spec...

Arpad