Re: [IBIS] Question about ibschk, [IBIS Ver], is it a bug?

From: Bob Ross <bob_at_.....>
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 14:32:20 PDT
Hi Gerald:

The IBIS specification and the ibischk parser are both documents
and tools that continually evolve.  We have decided to officially
stabilize and standardize IBIS on just the last major version
documents (e.g., 1.1, 2.1, 3.2, 4.2).  We are NOT interested in
maintaining any subversion distinctions (e.g., for 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1,
4.0, 4.1) since they might contain flaws or limitations that
are fixed in the stabilized versions.

So, all older sub-versions should be treated as if they are
designated by the latest major version.   In your case 4.1 is
treated as a 4.2 file, and ibischk4, Version 4.2.2 provides the
latest offical test.

We did decide to increase the file name limit from 20 to 40
characters in Version 4.2 of IBIS.  So, while you are correct
that ibischk4, Version 4.1.Y and below will detect this difference,
we now treat the 40 character limit as valid in all 4.0 and
4.1 files, and officially part of the IBIS Version 4 standard
approved by ANSI/EIA.

So we purposely want to eliminate sub-version distinctions to
provide a better document, to provide a better checking
tool, and to encourage common industrial migration to the
lastest major versions of IBIS and ibischkX.

Bob

--
Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Labs

Teraspeed is a registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC