[IBIS] RE: IBIS-ISS officially submitted for IBIS Open Forum review and approval

From: <radek_biernacki@agilent.com>
Date: Thu Mar 10 2011 - 20:25:48 PST

Hello Michael,

I have distributed the link to the draft IBIS-ISS 1.0 to a number of people at Agilent EEsof EDA. The following are comments, suggestions and requests I have compiled.

In addition, I have a list of minor editorial and typographical comments. I will send it separately.

Best regards,

Radek Biernacki
Agilent Technologies, Inc.

IBIS-ISS 1.0 Draft - Proposed Modifications and Required Corrections

1. Naming conventions and requirements, including the use of special characters, need to be made consistent throughout the document (for example, Table 3 is not consistent with Section 4.8).

2. Page 12, the "Period" special symbol - if used within instance or parameter names it may conflict with subcircuit hierarchy - please make it illegal.

3. Page 20, Table 8 - the first column corresponds to ".OPTION PARHIER GLOBAL" which is not supported by IBIS-ISS and should be removed. Furthermore, the content of the second column is not clear. Perhaps a text description of the parameter passing precedence, similar to the text above Table 8, would be a better choice. Furthermore, any description here needs to be consistent with Sections 5.4 and 11.1.

4. Page 26, Section 5.3 - please clarify whether the construct str() is required - examples, e.g., page 40, are inconsistent with the rules of Section 5.3.

5. Page 27, Syntax - the syntax definition seems to be incorrect: it suggests a whitespace separating the path and the file names; also, any restrictions on the path should be specified (e.g., no absolute path, relative path, but relative to what).

6. Page 32, Table 12 - please remove the text ", but is overridden by a value set in a .PARAM statement" - it contradicts the parameter passing concept.

7. Pages 38, 39 - please remove the wp (Wp) parameter (argument) from the syntax description and Table 20 for the W-element static model. Also remove Section 13. It seems that the presence of the parameter wp by itself is ignored. It requires another parameter (INCLUDEGDIMAG=yes) to take effect. However, that parameter is not included. Another argument against keeping wp is that it cannot be simply added to an existing static W-element data to fix non-causality: GD data is simply not reusable (even the units are different). Furthermore, for the purpose of generating causal models the tabular, not static, W-element data has been used in recent years. Thus, the need for this parameter is doubtful, as there may be very few, if any, models for which both this parameter and the data is consistently defined.

8. Page 43, Table 21, SP model arguments - please remove MATRIX - the only type needed for the W-element is "SYMMETRIC" (the lower triangle of the matrix is specified) which is the default.

9. Page 43, Table 21, SP model arguments - please remove other than "REAL" as available values for the VALTYPE argument since the W-element does not use complex matrices. The parameter has to stay though, since in HSPICE the default value is "CARTESIAN".

10. Page 44 - the default for the INTERPOLATION argument is very unfortunate - perhaps the "LINEAR" selection should be left as the only choice or the one that is strongly recommended.

11. Page 45 - please remove the FITGC argument from the W model syntax and Table 22 - this is a simulator control parameter.

12. Pages 46, 47, 48 and 49 - please remove the FBASE and FMAX arguments - they are simulation control parameters.

13. Page 48, S-Element Model Syntax - please make the arguments N and TSTONEFILE as required.

14. Pages 51 and 55 - description of the FOSTER type of the E-element and the G-element is not sufficient - the meaning of individual parameters is required. Examples are good but they can only illustrate the specification.