[IBIS] RE: [ibis-macro] Re: Minutes from the 26 Apr 2011 ibis-atm meeting Proposed

From: Doug Burns <dburns@sisoft.com>
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 10:46:12 PDT

Scott,

Let me address your comments one by one:

1. I have never stated that OPAL is the final word on every topic
and if additional clarifications or capabilities are needed, I for one
would be glad to have the discussion. However, the issue is not OPAL since
at IBIS we only deal with BIRDS before the committee.

2. Your statement: "Your assumption that network analysis stops
with 2 ports at the die is just silly" is your assumption, not ours.

3. That statement continued as: It's a good first approximation, but
not something that I want to take into the future, where I will be
modeling power, ground, termination networks and multiple serdes channels
simultaneously". We agree about the issues in the future, but we are not
in the future. There are specific issues that need to be addressed today
and addressed quickly. I will also say that we should try to make sure
that what we do implement today has capability for expansion toward these
other topics, but waiting for resolution of these futures impedes the
present.

4. You express concerns about the clarity of the submitted BIRDS in
various parts of your email. I take this seriously and will work to ensure
that they are clear and concise. We have no agenda to frustrate the
committee, but I require clear, concise, constructive feedback. Just
saying I don't understand or I disagree doesn't cut it. I need specifics
as to what or why as well as alternatives that you may suggest. You may
constructively criticize what I propose only if you are willing to provide
real feedback and examples of what you require.

5. As far as the committee trying to slow us down. Scott, as they
say, the proof is in the pudding. Let's look at history.

a. When we proposed new features and included them as |SiSoft
parameters, all hell broke loose from our esteemed colleagues about
"Non-Standard Models". There was no discussion about what was were needed,
it was purely attack mode.

b. We then modified our approach and used the model specific
parameters to convey information. Now instead of addressing the needs of
the extensions, the committee focuses on trying to eliminate that possible
use as its number one crusade. When asked for a solution, the response is
"Make non compliant models". What do you think will be the response if we
go down that road? There is a saying here Scott, "I may have been born at
night, but it was not last night!"

c. We have asked the committee for a way such that advanced features
don't get attacked and so far we have made little progress.

6. As for "Lump me together with that thought one more time in a
public forum and I'll come up there and we'll have words". I have this to
say, Please do not threaten me either publicly or privately. Personally,
that sort of comment is improper and is beneath the type of individual
that I think you are. I expressed my opinion and I stand by what I said. I
want to move forward and would gladly be willing to work with you in a
constructive way to advance our goals concerning IBIS-AMI modeling.

7. We all understand that a committee is a democratic process. We
also need to understand that each individual involved brings along certain
baggage that needs to be worked with (That include you, me, Walter, and
the rest of the crew). It is the responsibility of the committee members
to look past the individual and address the topic and it is the
responsibility of the Chairman to ensure that that happens.

8. Let's talk about Model Specific IN/OUT.

a. "The reason we're arguing about Model specific Outputs and
In/Outs, is because there are a plethora of models out there that meet the
spec, but don't run in all tools, unless time is spent to reverse engineer
what was actually done. This bothers customers. An example that I've
observed is that the brilliant S-parameter analog model methodology
provides two different results if driven by a 50 ohm driver or a pure
voltage source. This bothers me, since the requirement is an isolation
boundary between the algorithmic and the analog domain. Had the interface
been thought out more carefully, this need have been the case, which is
why I am against the approach that you advocate." The issue here appears
to be more a matter that the assumptions of what was a valid construct are
not clear and that such clarification is needed. This example surely does
not rise to the level as a reason to outlaw the use of the IN/Out
parameters. I'll also note here that how you punctuated your comments was
meant to insult or inflame. We all need to refrain from this behavior if
we expect civil discourse.

b. "I think it's absolutely fine to have Model Specific outputs that
provide information that can be stored, plotted, tabulated, or displayed
in any way that any one desires. This is not at issue. The issue is with
non-standard parameters that are designed to alter simulation flow or
results. This cannot be acceptable in an industry specification, since it
requires knowledge that exists only with the model maker and simulation
vendor that the model was targeted for. Yet you guys have spent the last
month arguing against that perfectly rational position, which is why it
has taken up so much committee time. Just capitulate and go on. Accept
that you will not get a consensus that agrees with your position." The
issue here is with the new parameter not with the actual Model Specific
IN/OUT. The REAL concern is that this allows a proposed parameter to pass
the parser and get advertised as compliant. We do understand the issue,
but as stated before, the behavior of the committee and their associated
companies when new features are introduced is to start throwing FUD into
the air. This argument would not be needed if the committee was working to
address the current shortcomings in functionality. I am sorry, but the
reason the committee chose to focus on this instead of the functionality
is, in my opinion, politically motivated. Give me a way to build models
the industry needs now without always being attacked and then I will be
willing to rethink my position.

c. Todd is going to make a proposal that try's to meet the needs of
both developers and EDA suppliers.

9. As for the rest, we are in agreement that discussion is needed on
many fronts. You mentioned many topics and I await the proposals.

Best regards,

 Doug

  _____