[IBIS] RE: VOL, VOH, Vmeas, VIL, VIH

From: Graham Kus <Graham.Kus@conexant.com>
Date: Thu Jul 07 2011 - 09:30:52 PDT

Hi Beatrice,

Here are some answers for you.

1) Vmeas is used to measure system timing by certain tools. VIL and VIH are the receive thresholds guaranteed across PVT by the silicon manufacturer. Vol and Voh are not required and are often omitted from IBIS models, because it is well understood what occurs if logic families are mixed. If designing with the same logic family, this is not a problem. But your question seems to indicate this design involves mixing logic families.... if so, see the link below.

2) Correction: LVTTL Standard thresholds are VIL = 0.8V and VIH= 2.0V. Not "about 1.7V." The receive waveform must be monotonic within this range or there will be production fall-out and/or reliability problems.

There are two portions to the problem you're asking.

1) The real problem: The simulation is showing non-monotonic signals at the receiver, which means the system is not correctly terminated. This causes ISI for some actual receivers. The "dogleg" you describe is due to reflection from an impedance mismatch (EM boundary condition). So this system either needs series termination(one receiver on the bus), or active termination (for multiple receivers). CMOS output buffers commonly have a characteristic impedance of 18-34 ohms. Example of series termination: to match a PCB trace impedance of 60 ohms, try inserting a resistor between 22-33 ohms within 1" of the transmitter. I recommend "High Speed Digital Design"(Howard Johnson Ph.D.) for further details on bus termination.

2) An "engineer with grey hair" said you can ignore VIL and VIH: Someone gave you incorrect information based on lab tinkering rather than Electrical Engineering and Physics. If the transition is non-monotonic between VIL and VIH, the system is not guaranteed to work across PVT. "Not guaranteed" means it sometimes works! Now, it is true that actual gates of each receiver have tighter thresholds: this is why a non-monotonic signal may "work in the lab." However at volume production, the present system *will* result in something like 10k unit fallout per 1M units (engineers work on weekends when product yield is that far below Six Sigma). The reason for the range between VIL and VIH for a logic family is to accommodate three effects on the actual charge required to bias an actual gate: silicon process skew, system voltage, and temperature. Thus, for guaranteed operation across PVT, the receiver waveform must be monotonic between VIL and VIH for slow, typical, and fast transmit models. BTW, the reason for the gap between VSS and VIL, VCC and VIH is to accommodate noise and voltage variation in a digital system.

Here is a TI whitepaper describing level translators and logic family compatibility when mixing LVCMOS and LVTTL for different system voltages:
http://www.frbb.utn.edu.ar/electronica/3-tercero/td1/notas-aplic/Voltage%20Translation%205V%20%203,3V%20%202,5V%20%201,8v%20scya006.pdf

Regards,
-Graham Kus
Sr. HW Dev Engineer