[IBIS] RE: BIRD137: AMI_parameters_in, AMI_parameters_out, msg Clarifications

From: <radek_biernacki@agilent.com>
Date: Thu Jul 14 2011 - 12:51:45 PDT

Hi Michael,

As BIRD 137 is scheduled for vote at tomorrow's IBIS Open Forum teleconference, I would like to state that I still have reservations about the vagueness of the term "empty string" as an option for returning "AMI_parameters_out" and "msg" parameters. The cleanest return value is the NULL pointer, whether reset by the DLL or left alone at the NULL value initialized by the EDA platform. The second option of returning a valid pointer at which '\0' is set would be ok if it were explicitly stated in the BIRD. The third option mentioned at the last teleconference, that is where the DLL returns a valid pointer to a string that has two characters - the opening and closing quotes - is the worst. Please note that a similar interpretation could be extended to any string that consists of any number of white spaces, tabs, line termination characters, regardless of whether the first and last characters are quotes or not.

I do not quite remember if we have already clarified whether the "in" and "out" strings are allowed to have the opening and closing quotes encompassing the entire tree, but assuming that such quotes are not allowed, the third option (with the quote characters) would be inconsistent with the general rules.

I suggest simply removing the references to the "empty strings" and to leave the first option as the only valid action.

Best regards,

Radek Biernacki
Agilent EEsof EDA