[IBIS] RE: BIRD137: AMI_parameters_in, AMI_parameters_out, msg Clarifications

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi@mentor.com>
Date: Fri Jul 15 2011 - 07:42:27 PDT

Radek,

Regarding "I question the need for sending back an empty string", I remember
someone stating that this would be useful for existing models
which may do that.

Regarding the minutes, I don't see anything in it that says that
the double quotes are passed to the DLL as being the empty string.
The sentence towards the end of this section of the minutes:
"Arpad added that an empty string could be a /0 in C or a ""." is not worded to
well, because it could be interpreted as the double quotes being
passed to the DLL as the empty string, but that is not what I
meant when I said it.

Either way, I think the problem is that we do not formally define
a lot of things in the spec (note Mike L.'s comments on the
Boolean True/False in BIRD 135). I think the spec should have a
definitions section somewhere towards the beginning, and in the
later parts of the spec we shouldn't have to spell out definitions.
For this reason I would say that we should leave this BIRD as is,
and write another BIRD to define what "empty string" is, or add
that topic to BIRD 127.1.

Thanks,

Arpad