[IBIS] RE: BIRD144 question

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi@mentor.com>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2011 - 17:06:36 PDT

Kukal,

Regarding: "In addition, it proposes support for user-defined corners...", I am
not sure I see a difference between the features of BIRD 144 and
BIRDs 116-118. In BIRDs 116-118 the Touchstone file name can be
parameterized for the IBIS-ISS subcircuit, which means that you
can write one IBIS-ISS wrapper for the S-parameter element, and
reference any number of T-stone files you want through the file
name parameter of the wrapper. On this level BIRD 144 works the
same way, because the user defined corners are really driven by a
parameter as the selector.

At this point, the only advantage I see in BIRD 144 is that it
works without an IBIS-ISS (SPICE) wrapper.

I have a bunch of other technical observations and comments on
BIRD 144 which I am going to write up in a separate email soon.
These are pretty technical and will need careful consideration.

Thanks,

Arpad