[IBIS] IBIS-ISS Package Modeling Status/Overview

From: Walter Katz <wkatz@sisoft.com>
Date: Thu Jul 19 2012 - 09:19:52 PDT

All,

This e-mail is a summary of applying IBIS-ISS to IBIS package modeling for
IBIS 6.0. This summary is based on discussions in IBIS-ATM, and private
communications with Brad Brim, Arpad Muranyi, Michael Mirmak and various
IC Vendors.

Definitions:

Pin The connection point of a package model to a
board.

Pad The connection point of a package model to the
die.

Channel Either a single ended connection between a single
Pin and a single Pad, or a differential connection between two Pins and
two Pads.

Finally, I will describe the package modeling solution for several Levels
of package model complexity.

Level 1

Package models for a single Channel without coupling to either Power or
other Channels.

Useful to have multiple Channels point to the same IBIS-ISS subckt,
passing a unique Length for each Channel.

Important to have more than 3 corners.

Level 2

Package models for a single Victim Channel with coupling to other
Aggressor Channels in the same bus but without coupling to Power.

Useful to have multiple Channels point to the same IBIS-ISS subckt,
passing a unique Length for each Channel.

This assumes that the Aggressor Channels have the same length as the
Channel.

Important to have more than 3 corners.

Level 3

Package models for a multiple Channels with coupling between them but
without coupling to Power.

Channels may be in multiple buses

Package model may be for complete package or for a slice of the package..

Level 4

Package models for Power and Ground.

No coupling to Channels.

May require multiple Pads for the Power and Ground Nodes.

In general there will be a different number of Pads and Pins

Level 5

Package models for a multiple Channels, Power and Ground with coupling
between Channels and between Channel and Power.

Channels may be in multiple buses.

Package model may be for complete package or for a slice of the package.

Recommendations:

I recommend that IBIS 6.0 should fully address Level 1 and Level 2 for the
following reasons:

IBIS has sufficient resource to accomplish this task.

Gives package information to Users/EDA tools to enable users to make
engineering decisions.

Is in accordance with many industry standards package model
specifications.

I recommend that IBIS 6.0 should be enhanced to enable EDA tools to uses
Level 3, 4 and 5 models that publish their connections ports with
something like MCP.

Walter

Walter Katz

 <mailto:wkatz@sisoft.com> wkatz@sisoft.com