RE: [IBIS] IBIS-ISS Package Modeling Status/Overview

From: Ray Anderson <ray.anderson@xilinx.com>
Date: Thu Jul 19 2012 - 10:50:41 PDT

A couple comments from a device vendor's point of view.

I'd like to say that I concur with Arpad's stance that the IBIS spec
shouldn't codify what form a package model takes, but should provide a
well defined interface that allows the user to define any package model
topology that ISS syntax allows.

By defining the Level 1 through Level 5 package complexities as has been
suggested, it seems to me that the spec will be defining many of the
specifics of model implementation that really are beyond the scope of
the problem. As long as the specification provides a robust, yet
flexible method to include a package model subcircuit of any arbitrary
complexity in the simulation then the specification will have done its'
job.

Various users will have different requirements and preferences as to
what the package model needs to contain (s-parameters vs W-elements, vs
RLCs), inclusion of power nets or not, the number of coupled nets, etc.
.... As long as the interconnect protocol can support varying numbers of
ports and perhaps provide the ability to pass parameters to the
subcircuit model, the specific internal topology of the package model
defined by the subcircuit need not be addressed in the specification as
long as the details can be defined within the ISS syntax.

Regards,

-Ray

Raymond Anderson

Senior Signal Integrity Staff Engineer

Programmable Platforms Development

Silicon Technology Group

Signal Integrity and Package Development Department

Xilinx Inc.

2100 Logic Drive

San Jose, California 95124

(408) 626-6277