RE: [IBIS] IBIS-ISS Package Modeling Status/Overview

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi@mentor.com>
Date: Fri Jul 20 2012 - 12:41:57 PDT

Mike,

Thanks for the clarification. Now to the point.

If I remember correctly, the feeling the 90's when we started
IBIS was to have a complete description of the entire component,
i.e. describe all of the pins, the entire package and all of
the buffers on the die. I remember complaints and email discussions
when "partial IBIS files" were circulated by certain vendors which
contained only a few buffer models, and when the [Pin] keyword
didn't list all the pins of the device... So based on that I would
conclude that initially IBIS models were intended to describe a
more or less finished product, which implies at least a semi-post
layout state on the die and package in the sense that all pins and
pads and their models were known (to some extent).

Component models like that can be used equally well for pre or post
layout on the PCB level, you just may not use all of the models
available to you in the .ibs file. So in this sense it seems that
pre vs. post layout on the board is less relevant in terms of our
IBIS specification discussions than the question of having a full
vs. partial .ibs file for the component.

I have to admit that in my BIRD 125 proposal I was following the
full model philosophy of IBIS modeling, without addressing what you
described, which is to have a "generic" IBIS-ISS subcircuit that
contains a few interconnect paths and apply (instantiate) that one
subcircuit with parameters for multiple pins/balls and pads/bumps
across a certain bus or interface. Walter's proposal has provisions
for this, and I do like those ideas. However, depending on how these
discussions progress, I think we could make modifications to BIRD 125
to address these needs, if we decided to go with the concepts proposed
in BIRD 125.

Thanks,

Arpad