Re: [IBIS] IBIS-ISS Package Modeling : The Physics of a Package Model, Presentation to IBIS-ATM 7/24/12

From: Scott McMorrow <scott@teraspeed.com>
Date: Tue Jul 24 2012 - 13:17:49 PDT

Do you need interconnect between VDD and VSS Bump Pads and VDD and VSS
Buffer Pads, or is it sufficient to "tie" each VDD and VSS Buffer Pad to
specific VDD and VSS Bump Pads.

/Does "User" need power frequency > 10GHz
/
The answer to this is "it depends."
If the package is well-designed, and return paths are well-localized,
then the power system can be considered separately from the signalling
system. However, if the package has compromised ball assignment the the
power system and the signalling system are inseparable, requiring both
to be extracted holistically. There are quite a few cases I've seen
where crosstalk coupling can occur from signal-to-signal through the
power system.

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC