[IBIS] RE: [ibis-macro] Re: IBIS-ISS Package Modeling Next Steps

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi@mentor.com>
Date: Wed Aug 08 2012 - 07:34:46 PDT

Walter,

I would also like to comment on the multiple corners idea you
show on slide 21 in your presentation.

This example basically parameterizes the file name and the
subcircuit name using your string substitution syntax. While
I think the string substitution syntax is pretty cool, I am a
little worried about adding this capability to IBIS just yet.
If this was the only way to achieve what you want to do with
corners, I would be less hesitant, but it seems to me that
there are other (easy) ways to get the same results. I am
concerned about adding too many new features to the
specification all at once...

First, I would think that most of the corners would probably not
need a separate subcircuit and/or file to model. In those cases
we can just pass parameters into the subcircuit and be done. The
parameterization of subcircuits is a pretty powerful feature as
described in BIRD 118.

On the other hand, if it was absolutely necessary to parameterize
the name of the file or subcircuit, this could also be done without
string substitution. We could allow the usage of a string parameter
for the full file name or full subcircuit name. This string parameter
could participate in Dependency Tables also which would make them even
more powerful and track other parameters as well.

Thanks,

Arpad