Re: [IBIS] BIRD161.1: Supporting Incomplete and Buffer-only [Component] Descriptions

From: Mike LaBonte <mike@labonte.com>
Date: Tue May 14 2013 - 12:29:05 PDT
The Scope sub-parameter here has values "Partial" and "Complete". I
believe these are intended to denote the case where an IBIS file
includes only enough data to model something like one interface for
early analysis, and the case where the file is ready to be dropped in
for full post-layout simulation. We may however want to define the
term "Complete" a little more carefully though, preferably stating
what the file can be used for.

For example, some might wonder whether a [Pin] section with no
power/ground or JTAG pins can be called "complete". Each model maker
decides what subset of pins they will support, and at the end of the
day whatever they decide is as complete as the model will ever be. The
fear is that some may not be sure when to use "Complete", particularly
where automation is used to make the models. A simple check of [Pin]
count against the full pin list may not be helpful.

Might a term like "EntireDevice" work better than "Complete"? Or is
this no better?

Mike