RE: [IBIS] Question about keyword ordering

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi@mentor.com>
Date: Mon Dec 16 2013 - 14:01:04 PST
Thank you all who responded,
my question has been answered.

Arpad
===============================

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Ross [mailto:bob@teraspeed.com]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2013 3:43 PM
To: Muranyi, Arpad; 'IBIS'
Subject: RE: [IBIS] Question about keyword ordering

Arpad:

The general rule is that there is no keyword ordering requirement as long
as keywords are scoped within the higher level keywords or sections.
 For example, the keywords under [Component] must be scoped by
[Component], but can be in any order.  So placing [Pin Mapping] ahead
of [Pin] is legal.

However, there are purposeful exceptions.

The File Header Section must appear first and the [IBIS Ver] keyword
must be the first keyword.  Proper keyword and subparameter
processing rules depend on the file version.  [Comment Char] is
and exception since it placed anywhere and multiple times
within a .ibs, .pkg or .ebd file.

Under [Model]:  the [Model Spec] and [Receiver Thresholds] (if used)
must be the first keywords because they are closely related to the
specification subparameters.  We chose to do this for visual inspection
convenience.

Under [Component]: [Node Declarations] must appear before any or
all [Circuit Call] keywords to define the nodes.

Under [Begin Package Model]: [Number Of Sections] (if used) and
[Number Of Pins] must appear before [Pin Numbers].

I cannot recall if there are any other rules, but all the existing rules are
handled by the ibischk5 parser and therefore can be handled by
any EDA tool.

Bob