RE: Duty Cycle

Subject: RE: Duty Cycle
From: Lorang, David D (david.d.lorang@intel.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 09:13:42 PDT

Jon,

I'm not sure I understand what you are disagreeing with, but let me take
another shot an see if I can clear things up a little more. Please
understand that although originally it wasn't clear in IBIS how the timing
between rising and falling edges were related, BIRD 68.1 was written to
clarify that some information could be conveyed in the IBIS file regarding
the relationship between rising and falling edges (Rising vs. falling edge
timing will affect the duty cycle of a periodic waveform.) So before BIRD
68.1, it was no surprise that simulation engines interpreted the waveform
data in a variety of ways. Even now that BIRD 68.1 is approved, it is
probably safe to say that simulation engines still interpret the waveform
data in a variety of ways. Any changes that do happen won't occur overnight.
Hence IBIS, even with BIRD 68.1 applied, cannot guarantee that, for example,
the duty cycle of a waveform will come out as expected, (i.e. matching what
is happening in the silicon.) It is likely that the waveform timings will
often still need to be "manually" adjusted, and there are tools in at least
some simulation engines to do that.

What BIRD 68.1 does do is to specify that the relative timing information
will be there in the IBIS file, so that simulation engine developers at
least have a chance (in a specified, and perhaps more automated manner) to
eventually maintain timing relationships between rising and falling edges.
So now, at least, the hooks are there.

Dave Lorang