Re: Timing parameters

Subject: Re: Timing parameters
From: Lynne Green (lgreen@cadence.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 12:14:32 PST

Hello, Gang,

Every EDA vendor provides "time-of-flight" results for delay
time for signal to travel between the driver and a receiver.
The data sheet should contain a mention of the voltage at
which delay was measured (so you can add internal delay
to time-of-flight" delay); this is the value of VMEAS. (RREF
and VREF are not used for a capacitor test load.)

Every EDA vendor has a different way of setting their time=0
reference, since the reference time=0 is not specified in the
IBIS standard. The IBIS standard also does not specify the
time=0 reference for building models, so any arbitrary (positive
or negative) time offset could be added to a model without
changing its "correctness" according to the standard.

What distinguishes vendors is how they help you correct for
these time offsets to calculate the internal buffer delay.
Many tools, including Cadence's SPECCTRAQuest, help
you correct for time offsets. You can also do this using a
spreadsheet.

- Lynne Green