RE: [IBIS-Users] LVDS modeling method

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] LVDS modeling method
From: Shee Kian Wong (SKWONG@altera.com)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 02:33:55 PDT

Hi,

Thanks for your interest. Sorry for not specifying my question clearly.

The LVDS standard specifies a differential output voltage range of 0.25V <
Vod < 0.45V. Also, the terms "common-mode voltage" and "offset voltage"
refer to the average of A and B (the outputs of the driver), (A +B)/2. And
LVDS has a typical output common-mode voltage of 1.25 V. This simply means
that A+B=2.5.

Let say if one output is at 1.5V (during sweeping of an external voltage
source), the other output will try to achieve 1V so as to maintain a fixed
Vcm. However, Vod is now 500mV which is out of the Vod range. When one
output is -2V, the other one will be 4.5V, which consequently giving rise to
a Vod of 6500mV. This should not be the behavior of an LVDS buffer.

My question was: Is it possible to model an LVDS buffer by controlling both
vcm and vod?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Shee Kian Wong