RE: [IBIS-Users] IBIS issue at high frequencies

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] IBIS issue at high frequencies
From: Todd Westerhoff (twesterh@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 14:02:43 PDT

If you attempt to switch the buffer before the end of the V-T curve sweep,
then you have an abrupt change in the buffer's output state. The buffer
jumps from the point on the transient curve that was switching to the start
point on the curve you are transitioning to.

You'll see the same problem at any frequency if the DC settling points of
the rise and fall curves are different. If your rise curve settles at 2.5V
(as an example), and the corresponding fall curve starts at 2.3V, then there
will be an abrupt change (and "spike")at the start of the falling edge.

Bottom line: Herbert is right - attempting to switch an IBIS buffer before
it finishes the V-T sweep can cause weird problems. Because each
simulator's IBIS implementation is a bit different, the problems you will
see can vary.

IBIS models weren't meant to model inertial delays, and they don't ...

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
Signal Integrity Engineer
Cisco Systems
250 Apollo Drive - Chelmsford, MA - 01824
email:twesterh@cisco.com
ph: 978-497-0272

"When did the choices get so hard, with so much more at stake?
 Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste"

- Bonnie Raitt, "Nick of Time"