RE: [IBIS-Users] model generation issue

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] model generation issue
From: Ingraham, Andrew (Andrew.Ingraham@hp.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 19:13:10 PDT

> Fisrt, when using s2ibis2 to generate ibis file(ver 2.1), should I take
> off "stand-alone" esd dummy diodes, which are not part of output buffer
> but just only for enhancing esd protection?

No. You should model how the device, the IC, behaves. If actual ESD diodes are part of the device, include them, whether you think of them as part of the buffer, or separate from it. From the point of view of someone outside the chip looking in, it doesn't matter if they were designed by the same person or not. ESD diodes affect the [GND Clamp] and [Power Clamp] characteristics, as well as C_comp.

(But I am not sure exactly why you call them "dummy" diodes. Sometimes "dummy" is used to mean place-holders that do not correctly represent how the circuit behaves.)

Andy