RE: [IBIS-Users] C_comp issue?

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] C_comp issue?
From: Muranyi, Arpad (arpad.muranyi@intel.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 16:45:24 PST

Fred,

I think you are correct. What we often forget in these
discussions is to define our frame of reference. So we end
up talking about something and someone else reading the same
words may still misunderstand it because they see it from a
different point of view.

To reiterate then, I agree, that if I keep everything the same
in a transistor level model and change only the amount of
capacitance in it, for example, by tweaking the capacitance
parameters in the process file (Cj and the like), than that
model will give different waveforms, or Vt curves.

I think we also agree that when we simulate with a particular
IBIS model, then no matter what the C_comp parameter says, the
output should reproduce the same waveforms when the model is
driving and no reflections are present.

In case anyone wonders, this difference is by design, and not
because IBIS is inferior or incapable to reproduce the real
world. This is why:

When we obtain a waveform from a transistor model, the shape of
that waveform includes the capacitive effects. In IBIS simulators
this waveform is basically used as if it was a scaling coefficient
as a function of time to scale the size of the IV curve to make that
also vary as a function of time (to account for the transients).
(Remember the IV curve by itself is purely steady state and contains
no transient information).

IV curves are usually implemented as some sort of a current source.
Whether they are scaled with respect to time or not, they are a pure
current source, not including any capacitive parasitics. So if we
want the driver or receiver to exhibit any capacitance, we need to
have a capacitor in parallel with this current source. But if we
did that, then the shape of the Vt curve would also get slowed down,
which we don't want, because that would "double count" the effects
of the capacitance. So IBIS simulators usually have a compensation
algorithm to avoid this double counting, yet preserving the capacitance
so that it is still visible to the signals coming from the outside world.

I hope this helps clarifying anyone's doubts.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation