RE: [IBIS-Users] Question about warning message

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] Question about warning message
From: Henrik G. Madsen (hgm@vitesse.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 06:26:45 PST

If you have access to the Spice models, the below will normally solve the issue.

The BSIM3V3.x transistor model includes two sidewall diodes, one at the source and one at the drain terminal.
The Spice model (at least HSPICE) do not include any loss for these parasitic diodes.
As a consequence, a lot of current will begin flowing through these parasitic diodes, when a signal outside the rail voltages is applied to the PAD of the IO cell.

It is possible to 'turn off' the parasitic diodes in the BSIM3V3 NMOS/PMOS models by setting the below parameters to zero. This should only be done for the transistors closest to PAD in the I/O cell.

> Set JSW=0, CJ=0, CJSW=0, JS=0
Afterwards two discrete diodes should be added with the same size as the
transistor's source and drain terminal to include equivalent models of lossy diodes as the ones removed.

See example below
MTEST Drain Gate Source Bulk NCH3 L=0.50 W=28.00 AD=AreaD
+ PD=PerD AS=AreaS PS=PerS NRS=0.004 NRD=0.008

Becomes
MTEST Drain Gate Source Bulk NCH3_esd L=0.50 W=28.00 AD=AreaD
+ PD=PerD AS=AreaS PS=PerS NRS=0.004 NRD=0.008
dMTESTd Bulk Drain Diode area=AreaD PJ=PerD
dMTESTs Bulk Source Diode area=AreaS PJ=PerS

Where NCH3_esd is the same transistor as NCH3 except for that JSW=0,
CJ=0, CJSW=0, JS=0

/Henrik