Re: [IBIS-Users] Question about warning message

Subject: Re: [IBIS-Users] Question about warning message
From: Kim Helliwell (kimgh@apple.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 11:08:03 PST

This is one of those areas where YMMV applies, I guess,
but I would say that most commercial simulators that handle
IBIS models are fairly good about filtering out non monotonic
behavior. At least, I've never had it be a problem. And it's
not clear how one is to combine the curves to check for
nonmonotoncity of the summed curves. I suppose that
pullup + powerclamp + groundclamp and pulldown + powerclamp
+ groundclamp would work, but during a transition, it's my
understanding that things are more complicated than that.

On the issue of extreme currents, I guess it depends on how
extreme. 100A would not give me heartburn, but I get really
nervous when we are talking about 10^14 or 10^25 amps.
While I suppose most simulators will take even these values
in stride, it always suggests a poor SPICE model used to create
the IBIS tables, which suggests sloppiness on the part of the
model maker. And that makes me wonder what else he/she
was careless about.

Kim

On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 10:27 AM, Angulo, John wrote:

> The following is posted on behalf of Tom Dagostino at Teraspeed
> Consulting Group. Please send any private replies to
> tom@teraspeed.com only.

> I'll disagree on this. The extreme currents are likely OK but the
> non-monotonic warnings may cause the simulations to not converge
> properly or
> in some simulators cause the model not to load at all. If the sum of
> the IV
> curves do not have monotonic issues you are OK. If the sum of the
> curves do
> have monotonic issues I would investigate before I would say it is OK.
>
> Tom Dagostino
>
> Device Modeling Division
>
> Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
>
> 2926 SE Yamhill St.