RE: [IBIS-Users] Question about warning message

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] Question about warning message
From: Muranyi, Arpad (arpad.muranyi@intel.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 13:55:04 PST

The problem is that this part of the spec is very old, it was
written in IBIS 1.1. In those days we used mostly unterminated
busses, and most buffers switched rail to rail. Given that
it was simple to say we need to cover -Vcc to 2*Vcc with the
IV tables.

However, this is not true any more. Most of our buffers are
small signal swing, most of our signals are parallel terminated,
etc... Consider the example of a 3.3V GTL buffer. The signal
goes from about 0.5V to 1.5V, a 1V swing. Even if it was
unterminated, the signal would only be driven from 0 to 1.5V.
Adding the effects of FULL reflection, the doubling would
give us a theoretical maximum swing of -1.5 to 3.0V. However,
according to the spec, because the power supply to the buffer
is 3.3V, the range "must" be -3.3V to 6.6V. For this signal,
which couldn't possibly go beyond -1.5V to 3.0V it doesn't
make sense to require a table that covers -3.3V to 6.6V.
So the IBIS specification should be changed, in my opinion,
or this rule needs to be handled with a grain of salt...

Please note, I am not signing up for writing a BIRD...

Arpad Muranyi
Itel Corporation