Re: [IBIS-Users] Question about warning message]

Subject: Re: [IBIS-Users] Question about warning message]
From: Fred Balistreri (fred@apsimtech.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 10:14:46 PST

I believe the original reason for testing from -vcc to 2vcc
had to do with transmission line theory. The possible maximum
reflection with an open circuit becomes the 2*voltage of the
driving line given that the reflection coeficient becomes
infinite. Oddly enough once there are diodes and esd circuitry
reaching such voltages becomes difficult. In point of fact
this is what we wish to determine. So while setting these limits
is general and perhaps should be the default it is sometimes
not necessary. In fact often times it is not possible or only
possible through the magic of simulation. As pointed out the
wording in the IBIS spec makes it mandatory. However a part
will pass the parser even if the mandatory voltages are not
achieved. I also am not voluntering to write a bird but perhaps
one is in order.

I do not think the model maker should be fideling with the SPICE
netlist unless they are the ones who know the design. At the
same time I agree with Kim that better attention needs to be
paid to the SPICE models. The IC vendors need to realize what
the application of the model is for. Instead what seems to
happen is that the SPICE model gets thrown over the wall to
a field organization that simply passes it on to the outside
world as is or creates an IBIS model from it.

Best Regards,

fred@apsimtech.com