RE: [IBIS-Users] Questions Regarding Bird 75.8

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] Questions Regarding Bird 75.8
From: Mirmak, Michael (michael.mirmak@intel.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 10:17:20 PST

Tim,
Thanks for taking a look at BIRD 75.8. You raise several important points, which I address below
- BIRD 75.8 does not allow just any SPICE to be used with IBIS. Only the "original" Berkeley SPICE -- which includes passive elements and simple sources as well as diode structures and BSIM3 transistor elements -- is permitted. The BIRD as written specifically prohibits proprietary SPICE variants, which would certainly include the kind of encrypted models you mention.
The BIRD includes Berkeley SPICE for several reasons, but chiefly because Berkeley is the closest to being a standard SPICE and is most likely to share features with proprietary SPICE variants. While buffer modeling is possible with Berkeley SPICE, the higher flexibility of AMS languages (see below) means that Berkeley SPICE will more often be seen describing on-die interconnect structures under BIRD 75.8 (for example, through the [External Circuit] keyword).
- I completely agree that IBIS is badly misused in many applications. Unfortunately, this isn't the only problem IBIS has. IBIS is simply not well-suited to describe today's newest technologies. For example, because IBIS was initially designed around the single-ended complementary "totem pole" design, serial differential buses like PCI-Express and Serial ATA are extremely hard to model accurately using the keywords currently available and commonly supported. Similarly, effects like data-, frequency- and voltage-dependency of c_comp can't easily be captured under today's IBIS specification.
Moreover, the problem can't be quickly or easily solved through the introduction of new keywords. IBIS relies on a set of assumptions which underlie each keyword. Unfortunately, as seen with c_comp, our modeling problems result less from missing keywords than from keywords whose fundamental assumptions have changed. In addition, each keyword change means a change to the spec and to the tools which support IBIS, causing a lag of months or years while the features are defined and implemented. BIRD 75 allows the use of much more flexible behavioral languages, VHDL-AMS and Verilog-AMS, at the user level, to describe buffer behavior without relying on "canned" assumptions.
So, we can certainly continue to encourage the correct use of IBIS 4.0 keywords in the industry. But, BIRD 75.8 is still required to address today's "bleeding edge" technologies and to prepare us for the future.
I hope this helps answer your questions.
- Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.