RE: [IBIS-Users] Questions Regarding Bird 75.8

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] Questions Regarding Bird 75.8
From: Muranyi, Arpad (arpad.muranyi@intel.com)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 14:58:16 PST

Al,
I am glad that we are converging... and thanks for your continued comments
and suggestions. Here are a few responses.

> It is for things like Vmeas, which isn't represented in Spice.
> The BIRD should say this.

We could add something to the "Introduction" of Section 6b to make this
clearer, but I will have to consult the other authors of the BIRD too before
it will happen. Also, there is another, non-technical reason for keeping IBIS
as a wrapper with these languages.

Current tools include or accept much more information than just buffer data.
Package, board and system interconnects are modeled today using a variety of
methods: physical geometries (through field solvers), s-parameters and the like.
While many of these formats and methods can be duplicated in AMS, there isn't
yet an open library of such solutions available, nor do most SI engineers have
the AMS background to create them. Having an AMS-IBIS interface enables
users and tools to continue to model and simulate non-buffer system components
under these other methods while taking advantage of AMS's flexibility in
modeling buffers. Your implication is correct: were a standard library or
set of conversion routines available, an AMS-only simulation environment might
indeed be able to model system SI as well as or better than today's methods
allow.

> I must confess .... It is a lot better in .7 .. Bob's files
> help, too. It would be clearer if [External Model] and
> [External Circuit] were different BIRDs, since they don't
> depend on each other.

Thanks! FYI, the latest is 75.8, not .7 (just in case you missed it), but the
changes are minimal. Regarding making two separate BIRDS, I think there is
a strong relationship between the keywords -- the same external languages are
used in both, plus many other details -- which would make two
independent BIRDs have big overlaps and probably too repetitious. Either way,
none of us wants to start over rewriting these. It took long enough as it is...

> It said those keywords are optional when [External] is used,
> but didn't say how it is resolved. I interpreted it to mean
> that both circuits are present, and the external one is added
> to the old style one.
>
> Apparently, what you mean is that when both are present, the
> simulator must choose one or the other. Both cannot be active
> at the same time. If I interpret it this way, it makes sense
> and answers #3.

Yes, they were intended to be alternates, not additive. We should perhaps
make the text clearer on that. Good comment.

> Given this approach, it is unreasonable to have only one old
> style keyword, say [Pullup] without the complete set. The BIRD
> makes it look like you can have only one. I propose that it be
> documented that if any old style parameters are present, there
> must be a complete model.

> I think a better approach is to disallow the old-style
> parameters when [External Model] is used. The functionality
> can be provided with [Model Selector].

There are two problems with completely disallowing the "old-style
parameters":

1) measurement and voltage supply levels, and reference loads
2) backward compatibility

For (1), we have required some traditional IBIS threshold information
to ensure that tools can evaluate system response using the new
buffer data according to user needs. The voltage supply information
ensures that the buffer is correctly powered in simulation and that
corner variations are correctly included. Put another way, [External Model]
provides the "training wheels" necessary to get IBIS users into
the AMS world while maintaining familiar and useful aspects of
traditional IBIS.

For (2), BIRD 75 makes it possible for model makers to provide both
AMS/SPICE model data and native IBIS model data to users, in case
their tools do not support the new keywords. [Driver Schedule],
you may recall, does much the same thing.

Besides being a hassle, to require complete native IBIS
model data means that model makers would no longer have the choice of
whether to be a good "IBIS citizen" and provide both sets of data or not.
This would make it nearly impossible to "move beyond" the current IBIS
keyword limitations, which was the whole intent behind BIRD 75. You are
right that having a [Pullup] by itself is permitted under the current BIRD
language. Though not what we intended nor very likely, this could be
used as a kind of "golden waveform" for comparison against the AMS or
SPICE data.

> I noticed that the list of optional old-style keywords did not
> include driver schedule and submodels.
>
> Please confirm that my new interpretation is correct.

You saw this correctly, however, I need to explain it, because I
don't think you understood it completely. The list of "optional
old-style keywords" was intended to tell you which keywords that
used to be required are not required any more. The [Driver Schedule]
and [Submodel] keywords were not required, so they do not need to be
listed in that list. Whatever was optional still remains optional
and doesn't need to be talked about in that context.

> What I mean is to say something like: an IBIS [Model] is
> equivalent to a Spice ".subckt" with a specified name
> convention, and a particular node list. That way, it could be
> substituted easily in the simulator's native way.
>
> If you look at mixed Spice - Verilog-A simulators, they don't
> distinguish which is which externally. A Verilog-A "module"
> looks just like a subckt (X...) in Spice format. Likewise, a
> Spice .subckt can be called by Verilog mode, just like a module.
>
> Some simulators do this already, but all different. There
> would be significant value in standardizing this.

I wonder what you would like to standardize. The syntax of the
ports of a *-AMS module and SPICE subcircuit, so that this BIRD
wouldn't have to handle them as different cases? Or the number
of ports an [External Model] has (perhaps 7)? If so, I think
that would be a much bigger task than this BIRD can handle. If
not, I would like you to explain this a bit more to me.

> Well, obviously to read an IBIS file it must be capable of
> reading an IBIS file. I was thinking of analog-digital
> interfacing. IBIS can provide significant advantages here, but
> I need to be convinced that this version does.

I am not sure I understand what you are getting at here. Please
explain more what you mean by "analog-digital interfacing".

> This comment was directed at the fact that developing and
> testing models is now a problem, and has always been. Certain
> issues seem to come up way to often, and are often answered
> incorrectly, so the confusion continues. IBIS 3 and 4 added
> several new features that are difficult to measure and validate
> in practice.
>
> By the way .... How do you measure the 4-part C_comp on a real
> circuit?

Yes, in later version of IBIS we started to deviate from the original
goal of having only such data in IBIS that can be measured on the
bench. However, there are tricks you can do. For example, if you
can't measure the C_comp_pullup and C_comp_pulldown, etc. separately
on the bench, you can measure the total C_comp, correlate that to the
total C_comp you measure on your SPICE model, then get proportions
off of your SPICE model for the 4 subsets of that capacitance through
simulations and apply those coefficients to the measured value. This
is just one way I could think of. But this is a subject that will
require cleverness on the part of the model maker, and just as I can't
teach the ***art*** of circuit design to a student, I can't teach the
***art*** of modeling either. This subject goes way beyond the scope
of this BIRD or even the spec itself.

Arpad Muranyi
Michael Mirmak