RE: [IBIS-Users] Pin name assignment

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] Pin name assignment
From: Dunbar, Tony (tony_dunbar@mentorg.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 12:32:04 PST

While we are now also debating the [Pin] column characters (and I know this
thread didn't start there), may I throw in a point of practicality (and
hopefully stay on topic)? This particulary concerns the use of the alpha
character range, [a-z] and [A-Z], for PGA/BGA alpha-numeric pinnames.

Please be aware that certain SI tools IBIS parsers differentiate between
upper- and lower-case characters, just as the IBIS spec is case-sensitive,
except for reserved words and keywords. The common convention for PGA/BGA
pinnames is to use upper-case alpha-numeric characters; e.g. AE4. If you
write an IBIS [Pin] list that contains pin name "ae4", this may not auto-map
to pinname "AE4" that exists in the CAD library for the part/package.

Regards,
Tony