[IBIS-Users] [IBIS] Open forum minutes (03/07/03)

Subject: [IBIS-Users] [IBIS] Open forum minutes (03/07/03)
From: rrwolff (rrwolff@micron.com)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 08:09:27 PST

DATE: 03/10/03

SUBJECT: March 7, 2003 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes

VOTING MEMBERS AND 2003 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
Ansoft Corporation (Eric Bracken)
Apple Computer Kim Helliwell
Applied Simulation Technology Fred Balistreri
Cadence Design Lynne Green*
Cisco Systems Syed Huq, Val Mandruson, Hung Pham
Cypress Semiconductor (Rajesh Manapat)
Huawei Technologies (Jiang Xiang Zhong)
IBM (Pravin Patel)
Intel Corporation Stephen Peters*, Michael Mirmak*,
                               Arpad Muranyi*
LSI Logic Frank Gasparik*
Matsushita (Panasonic) Atsuji Ito
Mentor Graphics Bob Ross*, Ian Dodd, Guy de Burgh*,
                               John Angulo*, Mike Donnelly, Weston Beal
Micron Technology Randy Wolff*
Mitsubishi (Pat Hefferan)
Molex Incorporated Gus Panella
Motorola (Rick Kingen)
National Semiconductor Milt Schwartz, Tim Coyle
NEC Electric Corporation (Itsuki Yamada)
North East Systems Associates Edward Sayre
Philips Semiconductor (D.C. Sessions)
Quantic EMC (Mike Ventham)
Siemens (& Automotive) AG Eckhard Lenski
Signal Integrity Software (Bob Haller), Barry Katz, Doug Burns
Sigrity Raj Raghuram
SiQual (Rob Hinz)
Texas Instruments Thomas Fisher
Teraspeed Scott McMorrow, Tom Dagostino,
                               Kevin Simpson
Time Domain Analysis Systems Dima Smolyansky, Steve Corey
Via Technologies (Weber Chuang)
Zuken (& Incases) (Michael Schaeder)

OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 2003:
Brocade Frank Yuan, Yongrue Yu
Conexant Gary Felker
EMC Corporation Brian Arsenault
Fujitsu Tadashi Arai
GEIA (Chris Denham)
Hitachi ULSI Systems Kazuyoshi Shoji
Independent Kelly Green
Marvell Semiconductor Itzik Peleg*
NetLogic Microsystems Eric Hsu
Plexus Joseph Socha
Xilinx Susan Wu

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *. Principal
members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are
as follows:

  Date Bridge Number Reservation # Passcode
  March 28, 2003 (916) 356-2663 4 1471937

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time. We try to have agendas
out 7 days before each Open Forum, and meeting minutes out within 7 days
after. When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted
by Stephen Peters and give the reservation number and passcode.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-------------------------------- MINUTES -----------------------------------
INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
Itzik Peleg from Marvell Semiconductor in Israel introduced himself. Itzik
is a signal integrity engineer who both uses and creates IBIS models and
is interested in tracking IBIS modeling developments.

Stephen Peters noted that the European IBIS Summit Meeting was held in
Munich, Germany earlier on Friday, March 7, 2003.

Bob Ross mentioned that John Angulo is taking over as the primary
representative from Mentor Graphics. Bob plans to leave Mentor, but he
expects to become active in the future with a new affiliation.

CALL FOR PATENTS
Stephen Peters called for any patents or pending patents related to the IBIS
Version 4.0 Standard. No companies declared a patent.

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
Stephen Peters reported that, at last report, the EIA has received a total
of eight IBIS dues payments for the year out of 35 companies invoiced.
However, Stephen noted that the last update was in mid January, so the
total may have increased. Stephen is working with the EIA to obtain the
latest ledger reports. Stephen also noted that he has not received a final
2002 financial report.

REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
The minutes of February 14, 2003 were approved without comment.

ARs will be discussed during the meeting.

MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
None.

PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
Stephen Peters reported that Syed Huq is making ongoing IBIS roster
updates.

NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
No new models reported.

OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
None.

INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
- IEC 62014-3 (ICEM) Integrated Circuit Electromagnetic Model Proposal
  (formerly, IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation) - No report.
- JEDEC Activity Report. Lynne Green commented that people can still sign
  up for the following IBIS Modeling class at the JEDEX conference on
  March 24, 2003

     http://www.jedex.org/

  Lynne is presenting two seminars. Seminar A is entitled "An Introduction
  to IBIS Models and Model Validation." Seminar B is called "IBIS Models
  for High-Speed Interfaces."

  The cost is $349 for members of JEDEC and $399 for non-members.

DATE2003 EUROPEAN IBIS SUMMIT MEETING REPORT
Bob Ross reported that he had received an e-mail from a participant stating
that the IBIS summit meeting was a success. Stephen stated that he will
add a report on the meeting to the March 28, 2003 teleconference agenda. In
the mean time, minutes will be published and will be available on the IBIS
web page at the following URL:

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/summits/mar03/

DAC2003 AND DESIGNCON2003 EAST MEETING PROPOSALS
Stephen Peters reported that planning for an IBIS summit meeting at
Designcon2003 East in Boston continues. Stephen has signed the contract
with the DesignCon officials, and a date of June 23, 2003 has been selected.
Stephen noted that we will co-sponsor DesignCon2003 East. The next step
will be to confirm a meeting room at the hotel. Stephen mentioned that we
have traded refreshments for a telephone line so that the meeting can be
web telecast.

Planning also continues for an IBIS summit at the Design Automation
Conference (DAC) on Thursday, June 5 2003 in Anahiem California. Stephen
stated that this meeting costs about $2000, and if we do not meet our
membership goals for this year we may be forced to cancel this summit.
Stephen asked that any companies interested in co-sponsoring the event
please contact him. Bob Ross and John Angulo will work together to reserve
a room for IBIS at the Marriot Hotel in Anaheim. Bob Ross noted that
presentations given at the DAC summit can be presented again at the
DesignCon East summit in Boston.

IBIS VERSION 4.0 PARSER FUNDING AND STATUS
Stephen Peters reported that the EIA has received IBIS 4.0 parser payments
from two companies, and verbal confirmation that one more company has paid.
Five more companies have indicated that they are processing the paperwork.
Stephen is working with EIA to get updated numbers.

IBIS QUALITY COMMITTEE
Lynne Green reported that the IBIS Quality Committee met on February 25,
2003 and will meet again on March 11, 2003. Lynne stated that the quality
committee continues to review the quality documentation before release to
the forum. Lynne noted that the review is going more slowly than expected.

IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE
Lynne Green reported no new models to review. Lynne confirmed with Bob Ross
that John Angulo will replace Bob on the model review committee.

NEW ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES
None.

IBIS FUTURES AND CONNECTOR WORKING GROUP REPORT
Stephen Peters reported that the IBIS futures and connector working group
met February 21, 2003 and again on February 28, 2003 to resolve the issues
raised by Michael Mirmak and Kelly Green and captured at the January 2003
Summit Meeting. All the technical and editorial issues have been resolved,
and Michael Mirmak is working to incorporate the changes into a revised
draft specification. The futures and connector working group will review
the final document at the next connector meeting before forwarding the
revised specification to the IBIS Open Forum.

Stephen also reported that Kelly Green, the ICM parser developer, is waiting
for a final version of the ICM specification before releasing an alpha
version of the parser. Kelly expects two weeks of testing before releasing
a beta version.

Stephen also reported that Lynne Green has offered to act as a 'gatekeeper'
for the ICM parser. A gatekeeper is required as the ICM parser code will
be open source. During the discussion on gatekeeper responsibilities,
Guy de Burgh offered to assist Lynne in code compilation on Solaris and HP
platforms.

Bob Ross and Michael Mirmak asked if a separate bug reporting structure
would be set up to report ICM parser bugs. After a short discussion, the
consensus was reached to set up an ICM bug reporting list separate
from the existing IBIS parser bug list.

BIRD74.2 - EMI Parameters
BIRD79 - Non-linear buffer impedance (extension to C_comp)
Stephen Peters opened discussion by noting that action has been deferred on
these BIRDS. Previous discussions have indicated that the modeling issues
addressed by these BIRDS are best covered by the multi-lingual modeling
extensions. Stephen proposed an up or down vote on BIRD74.2 and BIRD79 at
the next teleconference. Arpad Muranyi asked what options exist for
capturing the information contained in BIRD 79 if it is rejected. Stephen
recommends that a white paper be written that captures the method for
modeling complex output impedance. Arpad agrees and remarked that future
technical enhancements to the IBIS specification will focus more on
documenting modeling techniques (equations, etc.) rather than BIRDS. Bob
Ross suggested expanding the IBIS cookbook to include this information.
Arpad pointed out that some of the modeling techniques may go into more
detail and depth than usually placed in the cookbook.

Finally, Bob pointed out that BIRD74 is really an extension of IBIS into a
new area rather than a technical enhancement, and the strategy for
documenting BIRD74.2 might be different. Bob also suggested that the BIRD
authors should suggest alternate ways of documenting the ideas encompassed
by BIRD74 if it is indeed rejected.

Stephen will schedule a vote on BIRDS74.2 and BIRD79 at the March 28, 2003
teleconference meeting.

IBISCHK3 & BUG TRACKING STATUS
Stephen Peters noted that there are 12 open bugs against the current parser.
Of these 12 bugs, two of them (BUG75 and BUG76) have a code fix supplied. In
addition, BUG68 requires only a straightforward message change from 'error'
to 'warning'. Stephen will ask Atual Argarwal if he can incorporate these
three bug fixes into the IBIS 4.0 code as part of the IBIS 4.0 code
delivery.

As for the remaining BUGS, three BUGS (BUG71, BUG74 and BUG78) are still
being discussed and no final resolution has been reached. This leaves
five bugs that require investigation into a proposed fix. These bug
are as follows:

- BUG68, False messages with repeated voltages. John Angulo agreed to look
  into a proposed fix for this bug.

- BUG70, [Model Selector] fails for [Series Pin Mapping] Models. Michael
  Mirmak agreed to look into a proposed fix for this bug

- BUG72, Tab warning message promotion. No person assigned.

- BUG73, Extreme Non-monotonic I-V tables cause end point test to fail. As
  this bug may be related to BUG68, John Angulo agreed to look into this
  bug also.

- BUG77, Test for Series* Models in [Pin] error - Michael Mirmak agreed to
  investigate this bug and propose a fix.

It was noted that BUG70 and BUG77 are specification violation bugs, and so
are the ones we most want to fix in the IBIS 3.2 parser and propagate into
the IBIS4.0 parser.

- BUG71 - Monotonic Checking for Combined I-V Tables
  Bob Ross has been discussing the clarification of I-V table combinations
  with Bob Haller. Stephen will post Bob Haller's response to the reflector
  for discussion and resolution at the next teleconference. The current
  thinking is that changing the non-monotonic checks to check the summed
  curves is the proper thing to do. In response to a question, Stephen Peters
  mentioned that these proposed checks would replace the existing
  non-monotonic checks.

- BUG74 - Missing Timing Test Load Warning Messages
  Greg Edlund has updated this bug with clarification of assumed default
  values for Cref, Vref, etc. Further action is postponed until the
  rest of the Open Forum has had a chance to review the contents of the
  bug report. Stephen will post the clarification to the IBIS reflector for
  discussion and disposition at the next teleconference.

- BUG78 - Clamp Current Double Counting Test
  Bob Ross mentioned that BUG78 has not yet been classified because it
  contains a general problem, but no recommended proposal. Bob does not
  expect any further work on it. Bob suggests we classify it as Enhancement,
  LOW, and WILL NOT FIX. A new BUG report could be filed if the problem
  needs to be raised again.

NEW TOPIC:
  Arpad Muranyi asked about the timeline for consideration of IBIS 4.1 and
when it might be ready for ballot. Stephen replied that barring unexpected
issues with the incorporation of BIRD75 (multi-lingual modeling), he expects
that a vote to ratify IBIS 4.1 will occur in late May.

NEXT MEETING:
The next teleconference meeting is scheduled for March 28, 2003 from 8:00 AM
to 10:00 AM Pacific time. A vote on BIRD74.2 and BIRD79 is scheduled.

                                      NOTES

IBIS CHAIR: Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-1831
            stephen.peters@intel.com
            Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
            M/S JF4-215
            2111 NE 25th Ave.
            Hillsboro, OR 97124-5961

VICE CHAIR: Lynne Green (425) 788-0412, Fax: (425) 788-4289
            lgreen@cadence.com
            Senior Modeling Engineer, Cadence Design Systems
            20 120th Ave NE, Suite 103, Bellevue, WA 98005-3016

SECRETARY: Randy Wolff (208) 363-1764, Fax: (208) 368-3475
            rrwolff@micron.com
            Simulation Engineer, Micron Technology, Inc.
            8000 S. Federal Way
            Mail Stop: 711
            Boise, ID 83707-0006

LIBRARIAN: Roy Leventhal (847) 590-9398
            roy.leventhal@ieee.org
            Consultant, Leventhal Design and Communications
            1924 North Burke Drive
            Arlington Heights, Illinois 60004

WEBMASTER: Syed Huq (408) 525-3399, Fax: (408) 526-5504
            shuq@cisco.com
            Manager, Hardware Engineering, Cisco Systems
            170 West Tasman Drive
            San Jose, CA 95134-1706

POSTMASTER: John Angulo (425) 497-5077, Fax: (425) 881-1008
            John_angulo@mentor.com
            Development Engineer, Mentor Graphics
            14715 N.E. 95th Street, Suite 200
            Redmond, WA 98052

This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
Manual of Organization and Procedure.

The following e-mail addresses are used:

  majordomo@eda.org
      In the body, for the IBIS Open Forum Reflector:
      subscribe ibis <your e-mail address>

      In the body, for the IBIS Users' Group Reflector:
      subscribe ibis-users <your e-mail address>

      Help and other commands:
      help

  ibis-request@eda.org
      To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
      (ibis@eda.org), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector (ibis-users@eda.org)
      or both. State your request.

  ibis-info@eda.org
      To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
      for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
      Open Forum as a full Member.

  ibis@eda.org
      To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector. This
      is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
      technical enhancements. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibis-users@eda.org
      To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector. This is
      used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
      general user concerns. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibischk-bug@eda.org
      To report ibischk2/3 parser bugs. The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported
      bugs.

      To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
      which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt,
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, and
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt respectively.

Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual IBIS
models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the Electronic
Information Group under:

  http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/ibis.htm

Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous
discussions and results. You can get on via FTP anonymous.