Re: [IBIS-Users] Differences between '*_fixture' & '*_ref' parameters

Subject: Re: [IBIS-Users] Differences between '*_fixture' & '*_ref' parameters
From: Fred Balistreri (fred@apsimtech.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 13:32:49 PST

Not to add to the confusion but Stephen's reply is not totally correct.
R_fixture, V_fixture, and C_fixture are the load conditions under
which the device is tested for generation of the v/t curves.
It is recommended that C_fixture be omitted if at all possible
during the v/t testing. R_fixture in particular is not a parasitic
resistance it is the total resistance connected between the
output pin under test and V_fixture, in other words the load
resistor.

Stephen is correct about the _ref parameters. It is important to
note that the _ref parameters specified in IBIS are NOT used to
generate the IBIS data. The _ref parameters are supposed to be
the IC manufacturer's recommended load conditions for measuring
timing.

The _dut parameters are analogous to the _pkg parameters. They
represent the parasitics of the package. These can be avoided
when generating the model from SPICE. However when IBIS is
generated from measured real devices there may be _dut parameters
that are un-avoidable due to package, ic socket or other such
parasitics. In that case the _dut parameters should be included
in the IBIS data since the data was taken with those parameters
present.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Best Regards,

--