[IBIS-Users] Re: [IBIS] Re: Ibis generation problem

Subject: [IBIS-Users] Re: [IBIS] Re: Ibis generation problem
From: Mike Ventham (ventham@quantic-emc.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 04:22:16 PDT

Wil,

Typically a bus error is caused by a program problem which may be a memory
corruption or overflow. Normally this would produce a core dump unless your
environment is set to limit core dump sizes to zero.

If you have s2ibis and Hspice on another platform you could see if it
is platform specific.

The IBIS output file will not show what the program was working on at the
time as output is buffered unless the output buffer is specifically
flushed by a program call, which it was not in this case.

Normally a debugger is used to look at the traceback of the function calls
in the program at the point it crashed and then the programmer fixes it.
This obviously requires access to the source code and some programming
ability. You may need to supply the data to NCSU and see if they can fix
it. I'm not sure of the level of support as this is a "free" software tool.
Someone else may care to comment on this.

At 02:05 15/04/2003, Wil Ngan wrote:
>Thanks for your reply Lynne.
>
>As I mentioned earlier, I have already looked at ALL the *out file
>(these files are equivalent to *.lis in hspice, lists the entire netlist,
>all model info, output data), and I do not see any SPICE non-
>convergence issues, or any other problems whatsoever.
>
>In addition, my diskspace are not full, max file size limit isn't
>the issue, and there are no network problems.
>
>Additionally, I have taken each *spi file (these are hspice input files
>generated by s2ibis) and ran them in separate directories,
>and those ran fine, too, generating *lis files that match
>the *out files.
>
>It looks like I would have to resort to parsing each *lis file
>out and manually create the *.ibs file, though I don't prefer
>this since it would be a very tedious and error prone process!
>
>- Wil
>

>Lynne Green wrote:
>
> > Hello, Wil,
> >
> > Many possible causes: SPICE convergence problem, full disk, maximum file
> > size limit reached, network or system hang/crash.
> >
> > Best way to debug this is to look at the *.lis file for error/warning
> > messages. (If s2ibis2 deleted these files, you might need to disable
> > that option.)
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > - Lynne
> >
> > Dr. Lynne Green
> > Senior Member of Consulting Staff
> > Cadence Design Systems, Inc.

Regards

Mike
| Mike Ventham - Vice-President Engineering, |
| Quantic EMC Inc. Headquarters |
| Croft House, Chilcompton, 191 Lombard Ave., Winnipeg,|
| Somerset, UK, BA3 4JA Manitoba, Canada R3B 0X1 |
| Tel: 44 (0)1761 232191 Tel: (204) 942 4000 |
| Fax: 44 (0)7974 141685 Fax: (204) 957 1158 |
| Mobile: 44 (0)7971 553260 Download latest software @ |
| Email: ventham@quantic-emc.co.uk http://www.quantic-emc.com |