RE: [IBIS-Users] Sticky problem in [Driver Schedule]

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] Sticky problem in [Driver Schedule]
From: Mirmak, Michael (michael.mirmak@intel.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 17:29:27 PDT

Weston,

Good points! This is an esoteric case, for many reasons, but I wasn't just being pedantic (at least, not here :) ). This is actually a lead-in to a larger issue.

My actual intent was to try and separate out the top-level effects from the scheduled effects to investigate the treatment of different delays, plus clamps and c_comp, by various simulation engines. In order to ensure I wasn't seeing the top-level effects "poison" the scheduling, I wanted to build the simplest top-level models possible -- a 0 mA clamp input model seemed the most simple way to start, even if it breaks the intent of the spec.

We have a suspicion here that the scheduling instructions in the spec are written in such a way as to be easily misinterpreted by users and tools (for example, each delay parameter is described using a single sentence seven lines long!). This case was just a crude illustration of some of the unintentional side-effects of the way the current text is put together.

We'll be preparing some test cases and perhaps even a presentation or paper on this issue in the near future. Stay tuned...

- Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.