RE: [IBIS-Users] (lv)pecl

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] (lv)pecl
From: Tom Dagostino (tom@teraspeed.com)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 09:41:02 PDT

Erik

Fred is right that for an ECL model that the voltage range that has to be
characterized is over the 0 to Vcc - 2V range in the table. I like to see
at least the active region between 0 and Vcc modeled. There are some ECL
parts that will not be adequately characterized by only going from 0 to
Vcc - 2V. If I remember correctly ON Semi makes some ECL line drivers that
have about twice the swing of normal ECL.

Fred, the garbage Erik referred to was multiple lines in the tables that
have the same voltage values and zero current. I've seen models with this
before but I don't remember the cause of it.

Yes, IBIS likely goes too far into the clamp regions for characterization.
If your clamp currents are extreme it is likely that the clamp diodes have
not been properly characterized in their SPICE models. If you are seeing
more than a few amperes in the clamps you can assume the intrinsic
resistance of the diodes, the metal, etc. have not been fully characterized.
To eliminate this try adding a few hundred milli Ohms in series with the
clamps to bring the currents down to a more realistic level.

Tom Dagostino

Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

2926 SE Yamhill St. Device Modeling Division

Portland, OR 97214 13610 SW Harness Lane

                                   Beaverton, OR 97008

http://www.teraspeed.com 503-430-1065

tom@teraspeed.com