RE: [IBIS-Users] number of waveforms

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] number of waveforms
From: Muranyi, Arpad (arpad.muranyi@intel.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 09:22:32 PDT

Erik,

I am only aware of two tools which can use more than
one waveform per edge (or more than 4 per CMOS buffer).
This is probably the reason most IBIS models do not
contain more waveforms.

The reason the IBIS specification allows for more is
accuracy. It is generally true that the V_fixture
R_fixture combination of an IBIS model will reproduce
the most accurate results when the buffer is used with
the same load in the simulation. In case the model is
used in environments where the load impedance has a
wide range, it would be better if the model could also
use waveform tables which were made under similar
conditions.

Now that I am studying the algorithms in order to be
able to write VHDL-AMS IBIS models, I am discovering
a lot of interesting numeric details which I wasn't
aware of before, however, it would be to difficult to
explain all of them here. You can expect to see a
presentation by me and Luca Giacotto on this subject
in the upcoming IBIS summit.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation