Re: [IBIS-Users] Measurement deratings?

Subject: Re: [IBIS-Users] Measurement deratings?
From: Timothy Coyle (timothy.coyle@sun.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 08:47:37 PDT

John Phillippe wrote:

> Hello,
> I am wondering how people match their IBIS simulations to silicon
> measurements. I read through the spec, and didn't see anything that
> looked like a derating type construct. So it is my understanding that
> when someone takes lab measurements of an I/O buffer, those data points
> are directly inserted into the ibis file, replacing the simulated data.
> Does this sound correct? Is there another way, to get simulations to
> more closely match measurements?
>
> --
> John Phillippe
> SPS, 32 Bit Embedded Controller Division, IC Creation
> Motorola - 512-895-1835
> Austin, TX - john.phillippe@motorola.com
>
> |------------------------------------------------------------------
> |with just the appropriate command message(s) in the body:
> |
> | help
> | subscribe ibis <optional e-mail address, if different>
> | subscribe ibis-users <optional e-mail address, if different>
> | unsubscribe ibis <optional e-mail address, if different>
> | unsubscribe ibis-users <optional e-mail address, if different>
> |
> |or email a written request to ibis-request@eda.org.
> |
> |IBIS reflector archives exist under:
> |
> | http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/email_archive/ Recent
> | http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/users_archive/ Recent
> | http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/email/ E-mail since 1993

Hi John,
Not sure if you are talking about transmission line simulations or just the IBIS data itself, but here is my 2 cents. If your IBIS file was created from SPICE models, the real correlation should be between your SPICE simulations and real silicon. A good methodology might be to correlate your SPICE models to silicon, then translate your SPICE models to IBIS, and correlate your IBIS file to your SPICE model. If your SPICE models do not correlate well to silicon, you could extract IBIS data from
the bench and insert into your IBIS file. This should make your IBIS file correlate better to silicon. It will be more difficult to get your min and max
data from the lab than from simulation.

Regards,
Tim