RE: [IBIS-Users] RE: Vinh and Vinl definition

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] RE: Vinh and Vinl definition
From: Jeremy Plunkett (jeremy@serverworks.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 18:41:54 PDT

Hi Weston,
actually the HSTL and SSTL specifications both indicate that timing is
measured at the VREF crossing (see note 1 under table 2.2-c in the HSTL
spec). In system simulations you may want to allow for noise on VREF by
measuring timing at the DC levels or a custom set of levels based on the
maximum expected VREF noise at the IO ring of the receiver. Measuring timing
at the AC levels would create an unnecessarily large guardband.

The purpose of the AC levels is to qualify whether an input signal has
overdriven the comparator enough to ensure that the transition is received
with accurate timing (ie acceptable propagation delay through the input
buffer).

In system simulations I measure at all 5 thresholds, which sometimes
requires adding "dummy" input buffers with no capacitance or IV curves to
capture the extra thresholds.

regards,
Jeremy