Re: [IBIS-Users] Clamp curve subtraction

Subject: Re: [IBIS-Users] Clamp curve subtraction
From: Ingraham, Andrew (a.ingraham@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 08:36:04 PDT

If this is an output-only pin, then I would agree with you that overshoot is
probably not that significant (although light loads might lead to enough
ringing to activate the clamps). But in this case I believe you would omit
the clamp tables anyway; i.e., your model would have Pullup and Pulldown
tables which include the clamp diodes, and no separate Clamp tables; so
clamp subtraction would not be an issue.

If the pin can be tri-stated (whether or not it is an I/O), and the net to
which this device is attached can be driven by another device on the net,
then the clamps ARE significant and should be modeled relatively well.

But, if the non-monotonicity starts happening only when your outputs are
well into the clamping region, then it could be argued that the accuracy
"out there" (especially when driving) is less important, since the device
should spend very little, if any, time that far out along the clamp curves.
At -3V, or at Vcc+3V, accuracy is less important than just being in the
ballpark with a reasonable slope to pull the simulator back to the "normal"
operating region.

Also, if the non-monotonicity is slight and due to measurement noise,
another option to consider is to smooth out the measured data, perhaps by
reducing the number of points.

Personally, I really don't care very much if subtracting the clamps causes
the raw Pullup and Pulldown tables to become non-monotonic. Monotonicity is
not an IBIS requirement! When the IBIS model is used by a simulator, and
the simulator adds the Clamp tables back to the Pullup and Pulldown tables
before using them, the non-monotonicity goes away and the simulator engine
never sees it.

It's just that the IBIS syntax checker doesn't add the tables back together
(I assume in part because it would need to do some interpolation or spline
curve approximation), so it looks only at the raw curves, which could be
non-monotonic. It calls it out as a warning ... not an error. Don't get
too hung up on that.

Regards,
Andy