[IBIS-Users] [IBIS] Open forum minutes (06/27/03)

Subject: [IBIS-Users] [IBIS] Open forum minutes (06/27/03)
From: rrwolff@micron.com
Date: Tue Jul 01 2003 - 12:42:55 PDT

DATE: 7/1/03

SUBJECT: June 27, 2003 EIA IBIS Summit Meeting Minutes

VOTING MEMBERS AND 2003 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
Ansoft Corporation (Eric Bracken)
Apple Computer Kim Helliwell
Applied Simulation Technology Fred Balistreri
Cadence Design Lynne Green*
Cisco Systems Syed Huq, Val Mandruson, Hung Pham
Fairchild Semiconductor (Graham Connolly)
Hitachi ULSI Systems Kazuyoshi Shoji
Intel Corporation Stephen Peters*, Michael Mirmak*,
                               Arpad Muranyi, Eric Magnusson
LSI Logic Frank Gasparik*
Matsushita (Panasonic) Atsuji Ito
Mentor Graphics [Bob Ross], Ian Dodd, Guy de Burgh*,
                               John Angulo*, Mike Donnelly, Weston Beal
Micron Technology Randy Wolff*
Molex Incorporated Gus Panella
Motorola (Rick Kingen)
National Semiconductor [Milt Schwartz], [Tim Coyle]
NEC Electric Corporation (Itsuki Yamada)
Philips Semiconductor (D.C. Sessions), Stephanie Goedecke
Siemens (& Automotive) AG Eckhard Lenski, Michael Kindij,
                               Burkhard Muller, Katja Koller,
                               Andre Goerisch, Manfred Maurer,
                               Bernard Unger, Amir Motamedi,
                               Hartmut Ibowski, Gerald Bannert
Signal Integrity Software Bob Haller, Barry Katz, Doug Burns
Sigrity [Raj Raghuram]
Synopsys Warren Wong, Edmund Cheng
Texas Instruments Thomas Fisher
Teraspeed Scott McMorrow, Tom Dagostino,
                               Kevin Simpson, Bob Ross*
Time Domain Analysis Systems Dima Smolyansky, Steve Corey
Zuken (& Incases) Michael Schaeder, Ralf Bruening

OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 2003:
Agilent Technologies Herbert Lage
Brocade Frank Yuan, Yongrue Yu
Conexant Gary Felker
EADS CCR Alix de la Villeguerin
EFM Ekkehard Miersch
EMC Corporation Brian Arsenault
Fraunhofer IZM Ege Engin
Fujitsu Tadashi Arai
GEIA (Chris Denham)
Huawei Technologies (Jiang Xiang Zhong)
Independent Kelly Green, Luca Giacotto
Infineon Tech AG Christian Sporrer
Marvell Semiconductor Itzik Peleg
NetLogic Microsystems Eric Hsu
North East Systems Associates Edward Sayre
Plexus Joseph Socha
Politechnico de Torino Igor Stievano
Qlogic Larry Barnes
Sintecs BV Hans Klos, Bob te Nijenhuis
SiQual (Rob Hinz)
Sun Microsystems Tim Coyle
Via Technologies (Weber Chuang)
Xilinx Susan Wu

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *. Principal
members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are
as follows:

  Date Bridge Number Reservation # Passcode
  July 18, 2003 1-916-356-2663 2 381-4012

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time. We try to have agendas
out 7 days before each Open Forum, and meeting minutes out within 7 days
after. When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted
by Stephen Peters and give the reservation number and passcode.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-------------------------------- MINUTES -----------------------------------
INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
No new introductions.

CALL FOR PATENTS
Michael Mirmak called for any patents or pending patents related to the
IBIS Version 4.0 Standard. No companies declared a patent.

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
Michael Mirmak reported that based on the May ledger report from GEIA and
e-mail confirmation of payment the current membership stands at 25 paid
members. Michael noted that the "Voting members and 2003 participants list"
at the top of the minutes will be updated to reflect the names of the
companies that have not paid. The names of non-member companies that have
not had a representative attend a meeting this year will also be removed.

REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
The May 30, 2003 minutes were approved without changes.
The June 5, 2003 summit meeting minutes were approved without changes.

ARs will be discussed during the meeting.

MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
Bob Ross noted that NCSU now has a beta version of the SPICE2IBIS3
application available for testing. Those interested in trying the beta
version may address themselves directly to NCSU.

PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
Michael Mirmak reported that he asked Syed Huq to do an update of the IBIS
roster to reflect the current membership list. In addition, Syed will
send out a notice to all companies listed on the roster page to submit
updates to the roster. Non-responding companies will be removed.

NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
No new models or library updates.

OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
No new issues.

INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
- IEC 62014-3 (ICEM) Integrated Circuit Electromagnetic Model Proposal
  (formerly, IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation)
  No report.
- JEDEC Activity Report.
  Nothing to report.

DAC2003 SUMMIT REPORT
Michael Mirmak asked for comments on the IBIS summit held at DAC.
Stephen responded that the presentations and discussions were
of high quality and positively received. He also noted that
the logistics of the room, refreshments and luncheon presented
no difficulties for the organizers or the participants. John
Angulo observed that he had not yet received any reimbursement
for Mentor's expenses for the summit. He will arrange for
billing directly to the GEIA and estimates the total cost to
be between $1500 and $1600. Lynne Green will check with
Cadence and similarly arrange for GEIA billing for Cadence's
contribution to the DAC Summit.

DESIGNCON EAST 2003 SUMMIT REPORT
Michael Mirmak asked for comments regarding DesignCon2003. Bob
observed that IBIS had made good use of the opportunity to have
a real presence at an event not normally part of the IBIS
summit schedule. He added that the teleconference bridge was
a positive addition and the extra involvement from those on-line
was worth the absence of an IBIS booth on the event's display floor.
In future, the Open Forum will revisit whether both a booth and
a teleconference bridge provide returns on the required time
and monetary investments for summits. Guy de Burgh requested
that, as he now holds the booth, any request for the booth
to be used at a summit be made to him as far in advance as
possible. He will make tentative arrangements to bring the
booth to DesignCon 2004.

Michael thanked the participants and organizers from both Summits,
including Cadence, Mentor and SiSoft, for their help in making the
gatherings successful.

DATE SUMMIT DISCUSSION
Lynne Green raised the topic of planning for the DATE 2003 Summit in
October. An IBIS Summit is tentatively planned for Tuesday,
October 21, but specific locations and times have not yet been
determined. Michael Mirmak accepted the action item to contact NESA
regarding hosting and other logistics of a DATE Summit. Bob Ross suggested
that, while October summits have traditionally been held on the East
Coast of the US, the Open Forum should consider potential summit
meeting opportunities overseas, particularly in Japan.

IBIS VERSION 4.0 PARSER FUNDING AND STATUS
Michael Mirmak reported that we have parser payments from eight companies.
Unfortunately, one company had to decommit from funding, leaving us one
short of our goal. Several officers are working to obtain other sources
for parser finances.

Stephen Peters reported that Atul Agarwal has completed adding version 4.0
features and is in the process of adding the bug fixes. Atul indicated
that he will be able to add all bug fixes except BUG68, BUG73 and BUG78.
Stephen suggested that we review these bugs and figure out how to
incorporate fixes into the delivered code. Stephen noted that he expects
Atul to send a beta copy of the code to the forum by the end of the month.
The current alpha version of the parser has been compiled for several
platforms (for Windows by John Angulo, for UNIX/Linux by Lynne Green) and
checking continues by several members of the Open Forum.

IBIS VERSION 4.1 DISCUSSION
Bob Ross reported that he has posted a cleaned up text version of IBIS
version 4.1 to the web. In addition, Arpad Muranyi has created a .pdf
version that is also posted to the web. Both documents are available at:

  http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/wip/

There are also several minor editorial corrections that will be included.
Stephen Peters will provide a list of suggested improvements to the
Open Forum via the reflector.

IBIS QUALITY COMMITTEE
Lynne Green reported that the Quality Committee continues to meet every
two weeks and is working on an updated quality checklist. Lynne also
reported that the Quality Committe is preparing a BIRD related to IV
currents which will be filed for consideration at the next Open Forum
meeting.

IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE
Lynne Green reported that models have been sent to the Committee from
Lightspeed and Texas Instruments. These have been distributed to the
Committee members.

NEW ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES
No new issues.

IBIS FUTURES AND CONNECTOR WORKING GROUP REPORT
No meetings have been held since the last Open Forum teleconference. Bob
Ross proposed that this committee be disbanded, as its work is complete;
new committees may be formed to address issues as needed. Without
objection, the Open Forum accepted Bob's proposal and the Committee members
were thanked for their contributions.

IBIS ICM SPECIFICATION REVIEW
Michael Mirmak reported that no feedback on the IBIS Interconnect
Specification (ICM) had been received, though some comments for
consideration in the longer term were noted at both summits. He proposed
sending a message on behalf of the Open Forum to the IBIS and industry
e-mail reflectors to request review of the specification and sample models.
No objections were raised.

BIRD74.4 - EMI Parameters
Guy de Burgh reported that he had received substantial comments on the
syntax of BIRD 74.4 from Bob Ross and others. These issues involved
separating keywords from subparameters and including more details from the
available documentation from the University of Missouri at Rolla.
Consequently, Guy requested that any vote on the BIRD be deferred, pending
his issuing of a corrected BIRD 74.5.

IBISCHK3 & BUG TRACKING STATUS
John Angulo reported that work is still in progress on BUG73, "Extreme
Non-monotonic I-V Tables Cause End Point Test to Fail." John continues
testing of the BUG73 example data with the latest beta parser, and will
deliver all results to Atul. Bob Ross reiterated that the more complete
the analysis of the parser and related bugs by the IBIS community is, the
faster a quality parser will be made available to the industry.

John also reported that he has submitted a BUG to address a potential
issue with the placement of [Model Selector] relative to [Diff Pin]
within a component. Having [Model Selector] occur after [Diff Pin] is
accepted by the parser, but [Model Selector] occuring before
[Diff Pin] causes an ambiguous warning. Bob Ross confirmed that he had
received the BUG report and raised the possibility of an ambiguity in
the IBIS specification between the scope of the [Component] keyword
and the ordering of [Diff Pin] and [Model Selector]. Bob also suggested
that the example IBIS text be shortened to only include the minimum data
to illustrate the issue and pass the other parser rules. John agreed to
resubmit an edited version of the report after checking the exact syntax of
the specification regarding the scope of the keywords involved.

Michael Mirmak closed the meeting.

NEXT MEETINGS:
The next teleconference meeting is scheduled for July 18, 2003 from 8:00
AM to 10:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time.

                               NOTES

IBIS CHAIR: Michael Mirmak (916) 356-4261, Fax: (916) 377-1046
            michael.mirmak@intel.com
            Senior Analog Engineer, Intel Corporation
            M/S FM6-45
            1900 Prairie City Rd.
            Folsom, CA 95630

VICE CHAIR: Lynne Green (425) 788-0412, Fax (425) 451-1871
            lgreen@cadence.com
            Senior Modeling Engineer, Cadence Design Systems
            320 120th Ave NE, Suite B-103, Bellevue, WA 98005-3016

SECRETARY: Randy Wolff (208) 363-1764, Fax: (208) 368-3475
            rrwolff@micron.com
            Simulation Engineer, Micron Technology, Inc.
            8000 S. Federal Way
            Mail Stop: 1-711
            Boise, ID 83707-0006

LIBRARIAN: Roy Leventhal (847) 590-9398
            roy.leventhal@ieee.org
            Consultant, Leventhal Design and Communications
            1924 North Burke Drive
            Arlington Heights, Illinois 60004

WEBMASTER: Syed Huq (408) 525-3399, Fax: (408) 526-5504
            shuq@cisco.com
            Manager, Hardware Engineering, Cisco Systems
            170 West Tasman Drive
            San Jose, CA 95134-1706

POSTMASTER: John Angulo (425) 497-5077, Fax: (425) 881-1008
            John_angulo@mentor.com
            Development Engineer, Mentor Graphics
            14715 N.E. 95th Street, Suite 200
            Redmond, WA 98052

This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
Manual of Organization and Procedure.

The following e-mail addresses are used:

  majordomo@eda.org
      In the body, for the IBIS Open Forum Reflector:
      subscribe ibis <your e-mail address>

      In the body, for the IBIS Users' Group Reflector:
      subscribe ibis-users <your e-mail address>

      Help and other commands:
      help

  ibis-request@eda.org
      To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
      (ibis@eda.org), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector (ibis-users@eda.org)
      or both. State your request.

  ibis-info@eda.org
      To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
      for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
      Open Forum as a full Member.

  ibis@eda.org
      To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector. This
      is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
      technical enhancements. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibis-users@eda.org
      To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector. This is
      used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
      general user concerns. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibischk-bug@eda.org
      To report ibischk2/3 parser bugs. The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported
      bugs.

      To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
      which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt,
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, and
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt respectively.

Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual IBIS
models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the Electronic
Information Group under:

  http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/ibis.htm

Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous
discussions and results. You can get on via FTP anonymous.