RE: [IBIS-Users]DC Sweep for the pullup IV curve

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users]DC Sweep for the pullup IV curve
From: Muranyi, Arpad (arpad.muranyi@intel.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 16:06:36 PDT

Allen,

Strictly speaking the spec says the following:

| The stated voltage ranges for I-V tables cover the most common, single
| supply cases. When multiple supplies are specified, the voltages shall
| extend similarly to values that handle practical extremes in reflected wave
| simulations.

| 2) Voltage Ranges:
| Points for each table must span the voltages listed below:
|
| Table Low Voltage High Voltage
| ----------- ----------- ------------
| [Pulldown] GND - POWER POWER + POWER
| [Pullup] GND - POWER POWER + POWER
| [GND Clamp] GND - POWER GND + POWER
| [POWER Clamp] POWER POWER + POWER
| [Series Current] GND - POWER GND + POWER
| [Series MOSFET] GND GND + POWER
|
| As described in the [Pulldown Reference] keyword section, the I-V tables
| of the [Pullup] and the [POWER Clamp] structures are 'Vcc relative',
| using the equation: Vtable = Vcc - Voutput.
|
| For example, a model with a 5 V power supply voltage should be
| characterized between (0 - 5) = -5 V and (5 + 5) = 10 V; and a model with
| a 3.3 V power supply should be characterized between (0 - 3.3) = -3.3 V
| and (3.3 + 3.3) = 6.6 V for the [Pulldown] table.
|
| When tabulating output data for ECL type models, the voltage points must
| span the range of Vcc to Vcc - 2.2 V. This range applies to both the
| [Pullup] and [Pulldown] tables. Note that this range applies ONLY when
| characterizing an ECL output.
|
| These voltage ranges must be spanned by the IBIS data. Data derived from
| lab measurements may not be able to span these ranges as such and so may
| need to be extrapolated to cover the full range. This data must not be
| left for the simulator to provide.

So according to the spec you would need to do -3.3 to 6.6 V. However,
this was written in the days when most buffers were switching rail to
rail, and most transmission lines were unterminated having a full reflection.
The spec wanted to make sure that the IV curves would cover the voltage
range even if the waveforms double due to reflections.

Lately, the picture has changed, and we have more low voltage swing signals
and parallel terminated buses. As a consequence buffers do not necessarily
switch rail to rail, and reflections are much smaller. Even if we followed
the logic of full reflections, your model should be sufficient if it covered
-0.4 to 0.8 V. This would be officially not according to the spec, but
as far as I remember, the parser doesn't issue an error message, so you
should be OK.

I am dealing with similar situations in other cases too, and I am
actually considering writing a BIRD on this subject to clarify/change
the spec.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation