[IBIS-Users] [IBIS] Open forum minutes (11/14/03)

Subject: [IBIS-Users] [IBIS] Open forum minutes (11/14/03)
From: rrwolff@micron.com
Date: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 12:01:42 PST

DATE: 11/23/03

SUBJECT: November 14, 2003 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes

VOTING MEMBERS AND 2003 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
Ansoft Corporation (Eric Bracken)
Apple Computer Kim Helliwell
Applied Simulation Technology Fred Balistreri
Cadence Design Lynne Green*, Lance Wang
Cisco Systems Syed Huq, Michael LaBonte,
                               Val Mandruson, Hung Pham,
                               Todd Westerhoff
Fairchild Semiconductor (Graham Connolly)
Hitachi ULSI Systems Kazuyoshi Shoji
Huawei Technologies (Jiang Xiang Zhong)
Intel Corporation Stephen Peters, Michael Mirmak*,
                               Arpad Muranyi*, Eric Magnusson
LSI Logic Frank Gasparik
Matsushita (Panasonic) Atsuji Ito
Mentor Graphics [Bob Ross], Ian Dodd, Guy de Burgh*,
                               John Angulo*, Mike Donnelly, Weston Beal
Micron Technology Randy Wolff*
Molex Incorporated Gus Panella
Motorola (Rick Kingen)
National Semiconductor [Milt Schwartz], [Tim Coyle]
NEC Electric Corporation (Itsuki Yamada)
North East Systems Associates Edward Sayre, Kathy Breda, Michael Baxter
Philips Semiconductor (D.C. Sessions), Stephanie Goedecke
Siemens (& Automotive) AG Eckhard Lenski*, Michael Kindij,
                               Burkhard Muller, Katja Koller,
                               Andre Goerisch, Manfred Maurer,
                               Bernard Unger, Amir Motamedi,
                               Hartmut Ibowski, Gerald Bannert
Signal Integrity Software Bob Haller, Barry Katz, Doug Burns
Sigrity [Raj Raghuram]
Sun Microsystems Tim Coyle
Synopsys Warren Wong, Edmund Cheng
Texas Instruments Thomas Fisher
Teraspeed Scott McMorrow, Tom Dagostino,
                               Kevin Simpson, Bob Ross*
Time Domain Analysis Systems Dima Smolyansky, Steve Corey
Zuken (& Incases) Michael Schaeder, Ralf Bruening

OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 2003:
Agilent Technologies Herbert Lage
Brocade Frank Yuan, Yongrue Yu
Conexant Gary Felker
EADS CCR Alix de la Villeguerin
EFM Ekkehard Miersch
EMC Corporation Brian Arsenault, John Fernandez,
                               Simba Julian
Fraunhofer IZM Ege Engin
Fujitsu Tadashi Arai
GEIA (Chris Denham)
Independent Luca Giacotto, Kelly Green*, Shinichi Maeda
Infineon Tech AG Christian Sporrer
Marvell Semiconductor Itzik Peleg
NetLogic Microsystems Eric Hsu
North Carolina State Univ. Ambrish Varma*
Plexus Joseph Socha
Politechnico de Torino Igor Stievano
Qlogic Larry Barnes
Sintecs BV Hans Klos, Bob te Nijenhuis
SiQual (Rob Hinz)
Via Technologies (Weber Chuang)
Xilinx Susan Wu

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *. Principal
members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are
as follows:

       Date Telephone Number Bridge # Passcode
 December 5, 2003 1-916-356-2663 4 685-5954

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time. Meeting agendas are
typically distributed seven days before each Open Forum. Minutes are
typically distributed within seven days of the corresponding meeting.
When calling into the meeting, provide the reservation number and
passcode at the automated prompts. If asked by an operator, please
request to join the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Michael Mirmak.
For international dial-in numbers, please contact Michael Mirmak.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-------------------------------- MINUTES -----------------------------------
INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
No new participants.

CALL FOR PATENTS
Michael Mirmak called for any patents or pending patents related to the
IBIS Version 4.0, 4.1, or ICM 1.0 specifications. No patents were declared.

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
Michael Mirmak mentioned that Open Forum membership holds steady at 28
organizations. An updated GEIA financial report is expected at the end of
November.

REVIEW OF MINUTES AND ARS
The October 21, 2003 summit minutes and the October 24, 2003 meeting minutes
were approved with no changes.

MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
John Angulo noted that, on November 10 and 11, the IBIS mailing lists were
inoperative. While service has been restored, some messages may have to
be resent. Bob Ross announced that he was working with EDA system
operators to move all of the IBIS mailing reflector addresses to majordomo.
At present, list administrators are relying on bounced messages to
answer traffic on ibis-info and ibis-request.

PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
See the ICM Specification update below.

NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
No new models received.

OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
No new issues.

INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
- JEDEC Activity Report
  Lynne Green noted that planning for the JEDEX 2004 conference continues.
  More information can be found at:

  http://www.jedex.com/

- IEC 62014-3 (ICEM) Integrated Circuit Electromagnetic Model Proposal
  Bob Ross reported that Todd Hubing of the University of Missouri at
  Roll is a keynote speaker at EMC Compo 04:

    http://emccompo.eseo.fr/

  His work is related to the IBIS BIRD74.6 regarding EMI Parameters.

  Also, a new link exists to a private site related to ICEM, a separate
  approach to EMC issues that leverage off of IBIS.

    http://www.ic-emc.org/

  Because regular activity reports are not available, this will be
  dropped as a regular agenda item.

DESIGNCON 2004 SUMMIT DISCUSSION
Michael Mirmak reported that a schedule of calls for papers and other
announcement mailings has been provided to the IEC. Guy de Burgh and
Michael Mirmak will work together to request 8.5" x 11" posters from
Open Forum member organizations to display at the IBIS floor booth.
Bob Ross noted that several companies do not traditionally display
or distribute their logos.

Michael also observed that mailings requesting additional funds for
summit support were being distributed to Open Forum members.

EUROPEAN DATE SUMMIT PLANNING
Bob Ross reported that Ralf Bruening of Zuken (along with Eckhard
Lenski of Siemens) is proceeding with DATE 2004 planning and has
reserved a room. The Summit is currently scheduled for Friday,
February 20 in Paris, from 9 AM to 2 PM local time. Teleconferencing
is not planned. We are still looking for additional financial
sponsorship (mostly for lunch) for the meeting. Bob stated that he
is helping out with the arrangements and securing speakers.
Speakers and participants are welcome to contact Ralf or Bob for
further details.

IBIS VERSION 4.0 PARSER FUNDING AND STATUS
Michael Mirmak reported that he had discussed the parser status with Atul
Agarwal, the parser developer. All 4.0 features have been included, and
only two BUG reports remain to be resolved in the code. Atul is willing to
distribute a beta release with the latest updates once fixes to BUG68 and
BUG73 are decided upon by the Open Forum. If this beta meets with the Open
Forum's approval, this code would become the final 4.0 parser and all
IBISCHK4 activities could be closed.

Bob Ross noted a few small issues regarding the 4.0 features in the current
code, including extra spaces in package model names and a typographical
error in one warning report. These will be forwarded to Atul for inclusion
in the beta code.

Executables for the alpha version of IBISCHK4 are available for download:

  http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/ibischk4_beta

IBIS QUALITY COMMITTEE
Bob Ross reported that meetings continue every two weeks, with the next
meeting scheduled for November 18. Eckhard Lenski's IBIS error level
document is currently under consideration by the Committee.

IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE
Lynne Green reported that no new models have been received by the committee
since the last meeting.

S2IBIS3
Ambrish Varma reported that he has received more feedback from S2IBIS3
users related to general programming issues rather than specific IBIS
keywords. A new release is due shortly and will be announced through
the appropriate distribution lists and the Open Forum.

S2IBIS3 beta executables can be downloaded from:

  http://www.ece.ncsu.edu/erl/ibis/s2ibis3/s2ibis3.htm

Feedback on the current beta version is appreciated and encouraged.

IBIS ICM STATUS
Kelly Green reported that the beta ICM parser has been completed and
distributed for internal review. A final 1.0 release is planned to
address some naming issues, treatment of tabs, and a precision difference
between operating systems. This 1.0 release is anticipated within one week
of the meeting. A Linux version of the beta has already been compiled,
with Solaris 8, HP-UX 11 and Microsoft Windows versions also either in
progress or completed. John Angulo and Kelly will resolve the precision
issues offline. An appropriate announcement regarding ICM 1.0 parser
availability will be made on the distribution lists once several
compiled editions become available.

Kelly noted that he has made assumptions about proper parser performance
where the specification was either self-contradictory or ambiguous. Michael
mentioned that an "ICM BUG" form and subdirectory were available and that
parser bugs could be officially noted using a new email address,
icm-bug@eda.org, which will be announced with the 1.0 parser release. An
"ICM BIRD" process for ICM specification changes will be discussed at the
next meeting.

NEW ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES
No new issues.

BIRD83.1: SERIES ELEMENT CLARIFICATIONS
Michael Mirmak introduced BIRD83.1, an update to BIRD83. Michael noted that
the BIRD text now specifically addresses the current behavior of the parser
when analyzing [Series MOSFET] and [Series Switch Groups]. Michael also
mentioned that Bob Ross's feedback on whether a header for the column
"function_table_groups" is sufficient to cause a parser response has been
addressed as well.

Bob Ross noted some typographical issues which made the exact nature of the
changes confusing. He also observed that the changes required to the
parser, including a BUG report, should be noted explicitly in the BIRD
text.

The current BIRD text was withdrawn from consideration by Michael Mirmak.
A BIRD83.2 version, addressing the issues above, will be distributed for
discussion at the next Open Forum meeting.

BIRD84: DRIVER SCHEDULE CLARIFICATIONS
Arpad Muranyi mentioned that he had continued his discussion with Weston
Beal of Mentor Graphics on the proper method to use in explaining how
internal delays are triggered. To clarify, the stimulus provided by
the simulation tool into the buffer is the "master stimulus" or the
event which actually triggers a delay. A "derived stimulus" would
be some internal event related to the expiration of an internal delay.

Bob Ross noted that the text does not clearly state that all events
and delays are related to the master clock of the simulation tool.

A BIRD84.1 version, addressing the issues above, will be distributed
for discussion at the next Open Forum meeting.

BIRD85: SLEW TIME CLARIFICATIONS
John Angulo introduced BIRD85.1, an update to BIRD85. The revisions now
limit the attention of the reader to the context of [External Model].
Arpad Muranyi suggested that more specific instructions should be given to
the user on what should be done with Rload where single-ended resistive
terminations are not appropriate. Any automatic assumptions by the tool or
specification/parser should be explicitly noted.

The current BIRD text was withdrawn from consideration by John. A BIRD85.2
version, addressing the issues above, will be distributed for discussion at
the next Open Forum meeting.

IBIS VERSION 4.1 FIRST READING
Michael Mirmak announced the second official "reading" of the IBIS 4.1
specification, and called for comments. None were issued at the meeting,

Bob Ross noted a few clarifications to the IBIS 4.1 approval process.
First, the status of BIRD83, BIRD84 and BIRD85 must be resolved and
the approved changes folded into the 4.1 text. Secondly, IBISCHK4
must be completed and distributed before 4.1 may be considered for
approval. Finally, at least two weeks of review must be completed before
an approval vote can be brought before the Open Forum. This will
delay a 4.1 final reading and approval vote until the January 9, 2004
Open Forum meeting. Bob and Michael will make the required text
changes to the draft specification as the BIRDs are resolved.

A draft version of IBIS version 4.1 is available on the web. Both an
ASCII text and an Adobe PDF version are available at:

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/ver4.1_wip/

BUG81: Waveform Mismatch Error with Small Voltage Step
Bob Ross introduced BUG81, to address I-V vs. V-t mismatches
identified by the parser for I-V table points near 0V where
the voltage step is less than 1e-5. This is apparently related
to parser code issues reported in BUG68 and BUG73. Both Bob and
John Angulo have confirmed that the fix to the earlier BUGs also
addresses BUG81. The BUG was filed as "annoying," with low
priority.

John Angulo mentioned that he, Arpad Muranyi, and others have
arrived at a consensus as to the proper method for calculating
I-V vs. V-t endpoint mismatch percentages to be reported by the
parser. Arpad suggested that he and Ambrish Varma may wish to
check and perhaps update the code for their respective tools to
match the parser's matching algorithm.

NEXT MEETING:
The next Open Forum teleconference has been scheduled for December 5
from 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM US Pacific Standard Time. Votes regarding the
approval of BIRD83, BIRD84 and BIRD85 are scheduled. A vote regarding
the allocation of IBISCHK4 parser funds is also scheduled.

                               NOTES

IBIS CHAIR: Michael Mirmak (916) 356-4261, Fax: (916) 377-1046
            michael.mirmak@intel.com
            Senior Analog Engineer, Intel Corporation
            M/S FM6-45
            1900 Prairie City Rd.
            Folsom, CA 95630

VICE CHAIR: Lynne Green (425) 788-0412, Fax (425) 788-4289
            lgreen@cadence.com
            Senior Modeling Engineer, Cadence Design Systems
            320 120th Ave NE, Suite B-103, Bellevue, WA 98005-3016

SECRETARY: Randy Wolff (208) 363-1764, Fax: (208) 368-3475
            rrwolff@micron.com
            Simulation Engineer, Micron Technology, Inc.
            8000 S. Federal Way
            Mail Stop: 1-711
            Boise, ID 83707-0006

LIBRARIAN: Roy Leventhal (847) 590-9398
            roy.leventhal@ieee.org
            Consultant, Leventhal Design and Communications
            1924 North Burke Drive
            Arlington Heights, Illinois 60004

WEBMASTER: Syed Huq (408) 525-3399, Fax: (408) 526-5504
            shuq@cisco.com
            Manager, Hardware Engineering, Cisco Systems
            170 West Tasman Drive
            San Jose, CA 95134-1706

POSTMASTER: John Angulo (425) 497-5077, Fax: (425) 881-1008
            John_angulo@mentor.com
            Development Engineer, Mentor Graphics
            14715 N.E. 95th Street, Suite 200
            Redmond, WA 98052

This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
Manual of Organization and Procedure.

The following e-mail addresses are used:

  majordomo@eda.org
      In the body, for the IBIS Open Forum Reflector:
      subscribe ibis <your e-mail address>

      In the body, for the IBIS Users' Group Reflector:
      subscribe ibis-users <your e-mail address>

      Help and other commands:
      help

  ibis-request@eda.org
      To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
      (ibis@eda.org), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector (ibis-users@eda.org)
      or both. State your request.

  ibis-info@eda.org
      To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
      for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
      Open Forum as a full Member.

  ibis@eda.org
      To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector. This
      is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
      technical enhancements. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibis-users@eda.org
      To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector. This is
      used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
      general user concerns. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibis-bug@eda.org
      To report ibischk3 parser bugs. The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibis_bugs/bugform.txt along with reported
      bugs.

  icm-bug@eda.org
      To report icmchk1 parser bugs. The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/icm_bugs/icm_bugform.txt along with
      reported bugs.

      To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
      which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt,
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, and
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt respectively.

Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants and actual IBIS
models are available on the IBIS Home page:

  http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/ibis.htm

Check the IBIS file directory on eda.org for more information on
previous discussions and results:

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/directory.html

Other brands and names are the property of their respective owners.