RE: [IBIS-Users] Slew-Rate controlled output buffers

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] Slew-Rate controlled output buffers
From: Muranyi, Arpad (arpad.muranyi@intel.com)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 09:20:48 PST

John,

You are forgetting all about the Vt curves. While it
is true that IV curves are the full DC characteristics
of the buffer, Vt curves provide the 0-100% scaling
factor vs. time information for it. I.e., Vt curves
are usually used to scale the IV curves as time goes
by to model how the buffer turns on/off with respect
to time. The shape of the Vt curve determines the
"slew rate".

Regarding the slew rate controlled buffers, based on your
description it sounds like you have some sort of a feedback
in mind which ensures that regardless of the load (within
a reasonable range) you get the same slew rate. You are
correct, such feedback is not possible with IBIS models
up to version 4.0. However, we just approved IBIS 4.1,
in which you can model practically anything you can think
of with the *-AMS language extensions.

However, I also have to say that when I hear about slew
rate controlled buffers, I rarely (or never) hear about
it as you described it. The "control" portion of the term
doesn't refer to a feedback loop, but a much simpler
mechanism to slow the edges down. The reason they do this
is because the latest technologies would allow the buffer
to switch a lot faster than desired for SI purposes, so
there must be some deliberate slowing in the design.
This can be very well modeled with regular IBIS models
using the appropriate Vt curves.

Are you sure that your slew rate controlled buffer is
as elaborate (using feedback) as you described it?

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation